Chapter 74: Cordially Invited

Weiss looked disgusted by the news as she held an invitation to a banquet hall at Schnee Manor. She was sitting inside team RWBY's room in circle with Hawk, Ruby, Oscar, Blake, and Yang. Weiss, Oscar and Ruby were sitting on some chairs, Hawk was standing beside Weiss, and Blake and Yang were sitting on Weiss' bed.

Weiss: "Only my father would turn a hostile takeover into a fluffy PR move."

Hawk: "Guess we shouldn't be surprised. We've seen how he can twist things to his favour."

Ruby: "On the news, he said he just wanted to break bread and hash things out. Maybe it won't be so bad? We do want the general to start opening up to these people, right?"

Oscar: "Yeah, but on his terms. Ironwood's going to be locked in a room at his rival's own dinner party. I know Jacques says he's happy to moderate, but all that really means is he'll be the one controlling the conversation."

Blake: "Not hard to imagine how that's gonna play out."

Weiss kept staring down at the invitation, slipping it back into the envelope.

Weiss: "I still can't believe he won. Robyn was supposed to be the people's champion, wasn't she? There's just too many coincidences."

Yang: "You really think your dad might have something to do with Salem?"

A brief pause stretched out as everyone looked at Weiss. She closed her eyes for a moment, before nodding.

Weiss: "I think my father would do whatever it takes to win."

Ruby: "And we should do the same."

Weiss: "Meaning?"

Ruby: "Well, no one knows your dad better than you, and out of everyone going tonight, I'd say you're the only one who could snoop around the house and not be questioned. And you can get Hawk to go with you, using your engagement as a reason. If Jacques Schnee is up to something, I think we should know what it is."

Weiss thought over the plan for a moment, feeling Hawk place a hand on her shoulder. She reached up and put her hand on top of his, giving a determined look to Ruby.

Weiss: "Ok. If we can find the head butler, Klein, I'm sure he will be able to help us too. He's the reason I was able to get away in the first place."

Hawk: "Good idea. Plus, I'd like to meet him again."

Blake: "So, while you two sneak around. What should we do?"

Yang: "We should probably be ready to cause a distraction if needed."

Ruby: "Then it's decided. Weiss and Hawk will try to find out exactly what Jacques is planning, while we make sure they can get away from the party."

Short time skip brought to you by Chibi me, the author, banging my head into the wall trying to beat writers block.

The moon glowed in the night sky as four cars arrived at the Schnee Manor, coming to a stop along the driveway loop that went in front of the manor. Hawk, team RWBY, and Qrow exited from the first vehicle. Team JNR and Oscar exited from the second. The Ace-Ops were just climbing out from the third. Then finally Ironwood, Winter, and Penny left the last vehicle. Ironwood adjusted his tie, clasping his hands behind his back as Winter stood next to him. 

Ironwood: "Suppose we should smile for the cameras?"

Winter: "Sir, with all due respect, you'd have to pay me."

Ironwood smirked at Winter's statement, and proceeded to walk towards the front door with Penny nervously following behind him. Hawk and Penny made eye contact, and he gave an encouraging smile. Ironwood talked Penny into coming along to prove she was innocent of what she was being accused of, but Penny was still on edge from how people have been staring at her.