Chapter 71: Spark

Penny: "Rise and shine team RWBY!"

Ruby shot up in bed with a wide smile on her face, while the rest of her team struggled to get moving out of bed. Despite this becoming a morning routine, Weiss, Blake and Yang were still unable to get accustomed to being awake before the sunrise. Ruby quickly scrambled out of bed, eagerly recounting what Weiss and Ruby went through when the two of them fought several Manticores on one of their missions. Penny watched Ruby with excitement as Ruby demonstrated the moves she used, making sound effects as she cut through imaginary Grimm.

A knock on the door caused the girls to pause. Weiss had just fished out her toothbrush, Blake was swaying back and forth as she sat on the edge of her bed, Yang turned over in an attempt to go back to sleep, and Ruby and Penny stopped talking as they looked. The door opened to reveal a very tired looking Hawk standing there. He was clutching onto the side of the door so he didn't fall over.

Hawk: "Good.... morning girls. Any... one want coff...ee?"

He asked as he repeatedly yawned in between words. Ruby shook her head no as Blake and Weiss quickly nodded yes, Blake also asked Hawk to grab one for Yang as she struggled to get Yang up and out of bed. Hawk tiredly nodded and slowly stumbled off to the cafeteria, letting the four resume their struggle to get ready for the morning.

Hawk kept rubbing his eyes, as they refused to stay open for him. One of the dorm doors opened, and Jaune walked out and accidentally bumped into Hawk.

Jaune: "Sorry! Morning Hawk, you doing ok?"

Hawk: "You know that old saying, the early bird gets the worm. This bird would rather go back to bed."

Jaune chuckled a bit as he joined Hawk and the two of them went for coffee.

Short time skip brought to you by Chibi Hawk sleep walking while Jaune steers him to the cafeteria.

Ruby: "Not that I'm bored, but why can't we just use an airship to take these supplies to Amity?"

Hawk chuckled as himself, Penny, and Ruby were crammed into the front seat of the transport truck beside the Atlas android driving the truck, while Qrow and Clover sat in the cargo area. The drive had been a few hours now since the briefing in the early morning.

Penny: "The components for Amity Tower's construction are far too heavy. All that weight would require precious dust we should be saving for the launch itself. And the Grimm that will come after."

Hawk: "What's the matter Ruby? I thought you were excited for this?"

Ruby was struggling to keep her eyes open as she looked over at Hawk.

Ruby: "Of course I am. It just makes for long... very long... supply runs."

Penny: "At least the tundra is scenic."

Penny smiled as she pointed out the window, at the distant penguins watching the truck. Ruby let out an unimpressed sigh.

Ruby: "Totally."

Hawk: "I take this over what we've seen when we were travelling."

Ruby nodded quietly as she started to fall asleep, slowly leaning over to rest her head on Penny's shoulder.

Penny: "Ruby!"

Ruby: "Eeek!"

Ruby shot up, wide awake and looked at Penny.

Penny: "I just wanted to say how excited I am to be working with you and Hawk in a professional capacity. As friends!"

Penny gave a big grin in her excitement. Ruby and Hawk chuckled at her excitement.