Chapter 40: A Dusty Old Qrow

The five walk through the woods, with Ruby leading the group while looking at the map. Not much has been said amongst them since this morning when Hawk and Ruby found Jaune training. Ruby gave a smile as she looked over her shoulder.

Ruby: "Come on, guys! If we pick up the pace, we can hit the next town before sunset!"

Jaune: "Assuming it's still there."

Ruby: "Of course it'll be there. This one's supposed to be pretty big! Hee-gan...bayn-a."

Ren: "Higanbana. It's a well protected village with a popular inn."

Hawk: "Sounds cozy..."

Nora: "And you know what that means, no camping in the rain!"

Ruby: "See? Everything's going to be fine!"

Hawk nudged Jaune's arm, giving him an encouraging look. Jaune gave a small smile and nodded.

Jaune: "You know, we've had a lot of ups and downs. But things could be a lot worse. I really thought we'd see more Grimm."

Ren: "As did I."

Nora: "I guess our luck is finally turning around!"

Hawk smirked at the comment. Truthfully luck had no part in it, and he knew it. Hawk had spotted his dad in his bird form as they traveled, which gave him comfort.

Nora: "To Higanbana!"

Jaune and Ren: "To Higanbana!"

Ruby: "To Higanban... ban-a!"

The five of them started laughing as they started walking faster.

Ren: "By the way Hawk, you haven't told us what you've been doing since Beacon."

Hawk shrugged a bit as he interlocked his fingers behind his head, gazing up at the sky.

Hawk: "I've been trying to... rediscover myself. After my sisters... I didn't know who I was anymore."

The other four shared worried glances. Hawk didn't pay them any attention as he continued.

Hawk: "So I left... and met up with Auntie Raven."

Ruby gasped and spun around to look at him. The others didn't understand what that meant, but based on Ruby's reaction it couldn't have been good.

Ruby: "How did you find her?!"

Hawk: "She found me. You'd be surprised to know that she's been closer than everyone thought."

Hawk walked past Ruby, who stopped him as he passed by grabbing his arm. The two looked at each other. Ruby looked confused by the revelation.

Ruby: "Why? Why join her? She hasn't been apart of the family since she abandoned Yang and dad."

Hawk: "I was lost, Red. I needed to do something about it. Raven simply helped me, but I chose this. Now let's hurry, there's a storm coming based on those clouds."

Ruby let go of Hawk, giving a silent look telling him this wasn't done. Hawk turned to start walking again, but he looked back at Ruby.

Hawk: "Raven has been helping this family Ruby. And she's been present in her own way. Don't hate me for what I've had to do."

With that, Hawk walked ahead of the group, leaving them to have to catch up to him.

On the outcropping, Qrow watched the argument between Hawk and Ruby. He let out a sad sigh, wondering if this would have been prevented if he hadn't left Hawk at the Patch that day.