Chapter 42: No Safe Haven

To say Hawk was stressed out would be a major understatement. He was nearly breaking down in worry. Hawk held the front half of the stretcher, with Jaune carrying the back. Ruby walked beside them holding onto Qrow's hand as he tossed and turned in his unconscious state, his breathing heavy and strained. Ren walked ahead of the group while Nora covered the rear with their weapons at the ready, keeping their eyes open for any Grimm; or worse.

Ruby: "Just hold on, Uncle Qrow."

Hawk looked over his shoulder to see the beads of sweat running down his dad's face. The fever that Qrow developed was getting worse, and was causing Qrow to become delirious. He began to mutter quietly, making him grunt in more pain as he relieved a painful past.

Qrow: "Tai. She's not... coming... Tai."

Jaune looked at Ruby, who was staring at Qrow with worry. Hawk closed his eyes in pain as Qrow began another coughing fit.

Jaune: "He's getting worse."

Ruby: "How much farther?"

Hawk: "It's impossible to know."

Nora: "But we've gotta be close."

Ren: "Without the map, as Hawk said, there's no way of knowing. But I feel like we're close to something."

Ren paused up ahead, holstering his weapons and ran up to a signpost that marked a fork in the road.

Ruby: "What is it?"

Ren stayed quiet as he gazed at the sign post. Hawk and Jaune slowly lowered Qrow to the ground, letting the two get some rest as Nora walked past them to check on what Ren found.

Nora: "Hey, hey! Mistral! We're on the right path! Oh..."

Ruby: "Does it say how close?!"

Ren: "No. And it looks like the path takes us up the mountains."

Hawk kneels down beside Qrow, channeling his semblance to try to cool Qrow down by placing his hand on his dad's forehead.

Jaune: "Guys, I don't know if all of us can make that climb."

Hawk: "Jaune... please don't talk like that."

Jaune sighed and placed a hand on Hawk's shoulder for support. Ruby looks more worried and rushed over to Ren and Nora to look at the old road sign. Jaune walked after her, leaving Hawk to tend to Qrow.

Ruby: "Okay. Well, what about this place? Kuro... Kuroyuri? Can we get help there?"

Ren: "That village was destroyed years ago."

Jaune: "But if it takes us around the mountains, it's the best bet we've got."

Ren: "It will take too long."

Ruby: "The town would have had a doctor, right? Maybe we could scavenge for medicine!"

Jaune: "Right!"

Ren: "We're not going to find anything! We just have to press on!"

Everyone paused, surprised by the harshness in Ren's voice. There was a short silence, the only sounds coming from Qrow.

Jaune: "Ren, why are you acting-"

Nora: "We can split up."

Ruby: "Huh?"

Nora walks over to stand beside Ren, placing her hand on his shoulder.

Nora: "Ren and I can cut through the mountains while you, Hawk and Ruby take Qrow around through the village."