Chapter 26: New and Old Acquaintances

Port: "Three... Two... One... Begin!"

With that, the four members of JNPR charge, but only three from BRNZ charge to meet them. The fourth member of BRNZ moved to higher ground with her sniper rifle in hand.

As Hawk watched, he had small flashbacks to his own fight against team AQUA. Before the fight could get better, Hawk's scroll started beeping in his pocket. The four girls looked at him curiously but Hawk had gotten up without saying anything, walking away from the action to answer the phone.

Hawk: "Hello?"

???: "Is this Hawk Branwen?"

Hawk: "Depends. Who are you?"

???: "Someone who wants to speak to you in person. Meet me down in Vale. And don't keep me waiting."

The person hung up, making Hawk suspicious. He looked back to the arena, wanting to go and cheer for JNPR, but something was telling him that he should investigate. Hawk quickly sent a text to Weiss, letting her know about what happened.

Weiss: "Be careful Hawk. If I don't hear from you in ten minutes, we are coming after you."

Hawk smiled at the text and tucked his scroll back into his pocket, running to the airship landing pad. Within minutes, Hawk was in Vale and received another call.

???: "Come to Grannie's. You know where that is, right?"

Hawk: "And exactly who will be waiting for me?"

The line hung up again. Hawk growled but walked to Grannie's shop. It had been years since Qrow took Hawk to her shop, to pick up his sword that Raven sent him.

Upon arriving, Hawk pushed back the curtain and walked in. The shop was still cluttered as it always has been. Movement towards his left caught his attention.

A tanned skin girl with short dark brown hair and bright blue eyes stood with her weapon aimed at him. Her weapon was some kind of gun with a crescent blade that went around it.

Hawk: "Judging from the personality. And the mysterious set up. You're here because of Raven."

The girl gave a smug smile as she walked away from where she was hiding, moving so she stood in front of Hawk.

???: "Not bad."

Hawk: "What does she want?"

???: "For you to join her."

Hawk scoffed looking to the side.

Hawk: "Right... Who are you?"

The girl paused, thinking about the question.

Vernal: "It's Vernal."

Hawk: "Nice to meet you. Now I'm leaving."

He turned around but Vernal grabbed him by the shoulder.

Vernal: "You must be overconfident or stupid. Turning your back to an armed enemy."

To emphasize her point, she pressed her weapon against Hawk's back. He could feel the sharp blades poking him, but Hawk started laughing in response.