Chapter 63: Seeing Red

Cordovin: "You just couldn't keep this rivalry between us, could you, Calavera?! You had to rope in children to fail with you!"

Ruby had been watching the airship as it struggled to stay in the air after having a missile detonate in front of it. Bracing her feet against the cliff, Ruby began scaling back up the wall by stabbing her scythe into the rock for an anchor. She finally reached the top of the cliff and checked on the others who fell from Cordovin's attack.

Weiss was rubbing her sore shoulder that she landed on. Ren's aura was weakened to the point of breaking as he stood there catching his breath. Qrow stood there with a worried look that was slightly relieved the moment Ruby reached the top of the cliff, but Qrow glanced back to where Hawk flew off, hoping that he was safe.

Oscar: (over earpiece) "Ruby, can you hear me? Are you guys okay?"

Ruby: "Are we okay?!"

Oscar: "I know, we were supposed to lay low, but listen! I think I finally found a weakness!"

Nora: "Well, we're all ears."

Everyone turned to see Nora supporting Jaune as they walked over. Jaune had a slight limp with every step he took as he kept a hand on his side. Ren ran over to them with a relieved smile, helping Nora with Jaune.

Ren: "Guys!"

Oscar: "The cylinder on Cordo's cannon rotates and locks in a giant Dust cartridge every time she changes attack styles."

Weiss: "We noticed."

Oscar: "Right, but her missile launcher doesn't lock in, it pops out! Without her shields, one well-placed shot could detonate the missiles while they're still in the launcher!"

Jaune: "We could destroy the entire cannon... Oscar, that's brilliant!"

Nora: "Can you... make that kind of shot?"

Nora glanced over to Ruby, who looked down as she thought the plan over. She gave a quick nod before replying.

Ruby: "We'll only get one chance before she catches on. I'd have to be practically staring down the barrel of her cannon."

Maria: "Well, I've got a way to guarantee that."

The airship landed beside the group, opening the hatch doors. Ruby quickly ran forward and jumped in. Qrow tried to stop Ruby, but missed as she ran just out of his grasp.

Qrow: "Ruby, what are you doing?!"

The airship lifted back into the air and flew off towards the mech, leaving the others to watch.

Maria: "Hey, Cordo! I've got one missile left and I know exactly where I'm gonna stick it!"

Cordovin's chuckle could be heard from the mech before she replied.

Cordovin: "One missile you say? That's a shame, Maria, because I have plenty!"

As they predicted, the missile launcher popped out of the cannon and aimed at them. Maria smirked as she pushed the throttle, charging towards the mech. Oscar gripped his chair as he stared at Maria like she was insane, while Ruby kneeled out of the hatch door with her sniper aimed at the launcher.

Oscar: "ARE YOU TWO CRAZY?!"

Maria: "Sometimes the best approach is simply the most direct!"

Cordovin glared at the airship approaching, readying to fire her missiles before she noticed something. The mech's targeting system zoomed in on the airship, and Cordovin gasped in shock when she saw Ruby aiming with her sniper.