Chapter 81: Refuge

Ironwood stood inside of the Atlas Medical Centre, silently fuming in anger at the idea that Hawk managed to survive his injuries. As Ironwood looked through the window to across the hall, watching as the remaining members of his Ace Ops mourn the death of their leader, Clover, he glanced at his new arm. Because of the severity of his injury, Ironwood made the decision to get another cybernetic arm replacement. He closed his eyes for a moment as his new arm formed a fist as he remembered his last battle against Hawk. He remembered the humiliation he felt when Hawk defeated him, and his anger at how Hawk took advantage of his injury to gain the upper hand.

Ironwood: "Next time Hawk, you won't have that advantage..."

Ironwood muttered under his breath before he glanced to the side as one of his soldiers walked in, the two exchanging a quick salute.

Soldier: "Sir, the prisoners have arrived. They're being processed in Stockade B."

With a nod, the soldier left. Then, Ironwood turned around to look at Winter, going through her recovery with the assistance of two doctors.

Winter: "Qrow and Robyn?"

Ironwood: "Could you give us the room, please?"

With a nod, the doctors left the room and closed the door behind them. Winter tried to give a reassuring smile, despite how much pain she was in from the fight with Cinder.

Winter: "I'll be fine."

Winter glanced at her right hand and tried to form a fist, grimacing as she struggled to accomplish it. Ironwood let out a soft sigh, his mood softening somewhat before speaking.

Ironwood: "Thank you, Winter. I don't know what I would do without you. I've never- no one has seen a Grimm force this large before. The city's hard-light shields will hold, but not forever."

Winter: "What will you do... sir?"

Ironwood was about to respond, before the two heard a scuffle outside of the medical room. Ironwood looked out the window to see Councilmen Sleet and Camilla, both in a state of rage as they tried to force their way past security.

That's when Winter noticed a change in Ironwood. Her eyes widened with worry as his expression changed into a cold glare.

Ironwood: "I'm going to do everything I can to defend this kingdom. No matter the cost."

Ironwood calmly walked through the door and into the hall just as Camilla and Sleet pushed their way through security.

Camilla: "What in Oum's name do you think you're doing, James?!"

Sleet: "What's this about martial law? Have you lost your damn mind?! Are you that scared of what-"

Before Sleet could continue his sentence, Ironwood drew his revolver and fired a single shot. Camilla screamed in horror as Sleet dropped to the floor with a bullet hole in the middle of his forehead. The Ace Ops watched with mixed levels of shock while Winter's jaw dropped at what just happened. Camilla leaned against the wall, hyperventilating as she looked at Ironwood, then back to Sleet.

Without a word or change of emotion, Ironwood put away his revolver and turned around to leave. As he left, Ironwood motioned to two androids to clean up the mess. Harriet and Winter exchanged glances from across the hall, both trying to comprehend what had just happened. Harriet lowered her gaze and went back into the room with the rest of her teammates, while Winter closed her mouth and frowned as she was overwhelmed with doubt.

Short time skip brought to you by Chibi Penny accidentally freezing Jaune during Maiden training.

Qrow: "Hawk, please forgive me..."