Chapter 41: A Needed Talk

Hawk had led the group out of the abandoned village, supporting Qrow the entire way. Even though he wasn't looking, he could tell everyone was tense with mistrust. Especially Jaune. Eventually, they found a save groove in the forest and set up camp. Hawk stayed by Qrow, changing the already bloody bandages for clean ones. Also, despite Qrow's complaint, had used his alcohol to clean the wound before wrapping it up.

Now, everyone sat on some fallen logs around the campfire as Qrow told RNJR the details about the maidens and Salem. Hawk stayed silent, watching the others to see how they reacted. As soon as Qrow finished the story, he sat there and took a swig from his flask. An eerie silence hovered over everyone, as Hawk and Qrow exchanged a glance before Qrow looked to the others.

Qrow: "Really? No questions?"

Jaune: "Of course we have questions. This is just... a lot to take in."

Qrow: "Sure, of course."

There was another small pause, before Ruby looked away from the campfire to Qrow.

Ruby: "So these... Maidens... They're powerful fighters that don't need Dust to use magic."

Qrow: "Yeah."

Nora: "And there are four of them?"

Hawk: "Yup."

Ren: "Which means that, whenever one of them dies, the power transfers to someone... a female... that they cared about?"

Qrow shook his head, looking at Ren as he corrected him.

Qrow: "Whoever was in their thoughts last. Important distinction. Best option is someone we can trust. Regardless, their souls become combined, in a way."

Jaune: "And that's what you were trying to do to Pyrrha... the night the tower fell. You were trying to turn her into one of them."

Hawk glared at Jaune, his irritation growing for him ever since their battle with Tyrian. Hawk didn't notice it at the time, but Jaune had given up when it seemed like Ruby was going to be defeated. She probably would have been if Hawk hadn't been there.

Qrow: "The previous Fall Maiden, Amber, had been attacked. She was young, inexperienced. And her assailant, who we now know is Cinder, somehow managed to steal some of her power, but not all of it. We were afraid that if we didn't do something, the rest would go to her as well."

Jaune's anger became more hostile, as he spoke at Qrow with pure venom in his voice while giving a glare.

Jaune: "So you forced it on Pyrrha."

Hawk: "Jaune!"

Qrow: "We didn't force anything. We explained the situation and gave her the choice, and she chose. You were there, you heard her."

Jaune looked away for a moment, then stood up and walked away from the fire. He stood away from the light, seeming like he was attempting to not lash out recklessly.

Ruby: "That guy, Tyrian... why was he after Hawk and I?"

Hawk and Qrow sighed slowly. Hawk kept his gaze down at the fire while Qrow answered.

Qrow: "Well, you definitely painted a target on your back with what you did at Beacon. I told you having silver eyes is a rare trait. And the fact that you were able to use them seems to have upset some very powerful people. Not many people know about the silver eyes. Those that do, aren't very happy that one has surfaced. That's why I've been keeping an eye on you in order to make sure you were safe. All of you."

As he said this, Qrow glanced over to Jaune who was still standing away from the fire. Ruby looked more troubled as she looked at Hawk.

Ruby: "Well, why did Tyrian want Hawk? He doesn't have silver eyes. And why did he call him 'prince'?"