Chapter 39: The Raid

It was in the early morning, the sun was just rising which casted a warm glow across the camp. The sun reflected off his armour as Hawk sat at the edge of camp, keeping his eyes out for intruders as he held his katana in hand. So far nobody has tried to come into the camp, minus the stray Grimm every now and then. Hawk sheathed his sword when he heard the gate behind him open. A bandit walked out with a small smile.

Bandit: "Hey Slayer. Boss wants a word with you."

Slayer. That was the code name Raven gave to the tribe when she introduced Hawk to the tribe. Personally, Hawk didn't mind. It was fitting for the new style of life that he now lived. Hawk nodded silently and walked back into camp, closing the gate behind him.

Other bandits walked out of their tents to start the day, most of them giving hellos as Hawk walked past them while they carried on with their day. He stood outside Raven's tent and knocked on the wood post.

Raven: "Enter."

Hawk pulled the curtain up and walked inside. Raven and Vernal were muttering to each other, standing beside a large map of the land. As Hawk walked inside, Raven and Vernal smiled at him.

Raven: "Good morning Hawk. I have a mission for you."

Hawk: "Finally. I haven't done much except training for the past month."

Raven: "I want you to join me on a raid. Our target is the village called Shion."

Hawk looked down at the map to see Raven pointing at the village.

Vernal: "I've scouted the area for a week. Their defences are barely existing. We'll be in and out with no trouble at all."

Hawk: "What are we going for? Anything specific?"

Raven: "Medical supplies. As you remember, we burned through a fair amount of supplies after the failed ambush last month."

Hawk thought back to that day. Some hotshot bandit thought he could get a party and ambush an escort from Vacuo. Needless to say it didn't work at all. They were lucky to have survived the wounds that they got. And even more lucky that Raven was merciful enough to excuse the idiot and allow the tribe to heal them.

Hawk: "I still think you shouldn't have let that rubber banding idiot off the hook so easily."

Raven gave a humoured look as she gazed at the map.

Raven: "Who said I let him off easy? Now, let's focus. We will attack at sundown. Our goal is to go in, grab the supplies, and get out."

Vernal: "A simple job."

Hawk nodded and turned to walk away but Raven stopped him.

Raven: "Hawk. I need to know one thing."

Hawk looked over his shoulder at her. Raven's expression had become cold and serious. He wasn't talking to his aunt, he was talking to the leader of the tribe at this moment.

Raven: "They may fight back. I need to know, if you are willing to defend this tribe."

Hawk: "Are you asking me to kill innocent people?"

Raven: "That depends on them. If Vernal is wounded in battle, and someone was going to finish the job. What will you do? Let her die to protect your morals? Or strike down the threat and protect this family?"