Chapter 21: Search & Destroy

Hawk: "You have to be kidding me..."

Weiss: "Professor Oobleck?"

RWBY and Hawk stood in disbelief as Oobleck paced in front of the students.

Oobleck: "Yes, I'm afraid those bags won't be necessary, seeing as you five have opted to shadow a Huntsman on what is now essentially a reconnaissance mission. I can assure you, we will not be establishing a single base of operations; rather, we will be traversing several miles of hazardous wasteland and making camp in any defendable locations we may stumble upon. I packed all of our essentials myself, plotted our air course, and readied the airship. And...

He zooms over so he's staring at Weiss.

Oobleck: "It's Doctor Oobleck. I didn't earn the PhD for fun, thank you very much!"

Hawk groaned as the doctor zoomed away again, standing in front of them while staring at his watch.

Weiss shares a glance with Blake and Hawk, all three of them sharing the same regret.

Weiss: "Uh..."

Oobleck: "Come now, children; according to my schedule, we are already three minutes behind! ...schedule!"

With that, Doctor Oobleck zoomed off to the airship in the blink of an eye. Everyone but Ruby groaned out loud. Ruby gave a smile trying to stay positive.

Ruby: "Well, alright, then! Looks like we're going to save the world with Doctor Oooobleck- okay yeah when you say it out loud it sounds worse."

Hawk: "Maybe I can still sneak away to a different mission?"

Weiss and Yang glared at him as he muttered to himself.

Weiss: "Oh no you don't!"

Yang: "You're stuck in this with us!"

Hawk sighed but nodded.

Nora: "Save the world?"

They turned around to see Nora and the rest of team JNPR approaching.

Nora: "You're going on world-saving missions without us? I'm hurt... sad!"

Then her stomach rumbles loud enough to match thunder itself.

Nora: "Maybe a little hungry? That last one's not your fault, though, Ren..."

Ren simply crossed his arms and turns away.

Jaune: "Sounds exciting. Where ya going?"

Ruby: "Oh, just outside the kingdom..."

Nora: "Hey! So are we!"

Pyrrha: "Ren and Nora wanted to shadow the sheriff of a nearby village."

Ren: "We set out tomorrow."

Neptune: "Then you can party with us tonight!"

Neptune and Sun walk over to the group.

Neptune: "We're shadowing a crime specialist. All inner-city detective stuff. We get junior badges."

Hawk smirks at the idea of the two being junior detectives. Jaune looks awestruck at the idea.

Sun: "We normally go to the city with you guys, which means stuff's always exploding and junk, so we thought this might be a better way to check out the kingdom when it's, you know... normal."

Ruby: "Well..."

The group look slightly awkward being called out like that, when Oobleck poked his head out of the bulkhead.