II. Douglas

I would be jogging down the road on the pavement, breathing in the early morning air, before heading back to my apartment. A routine that had always been integrated into me since I was 16. I would take a shower, and as soon as I change into my normal attire (a black three-piece suit), a telephone ring cut across the silence that I had been accustomed to at this time of the day (7 AM, mind you).

I walked over, hair still wet with a towel in hand, I answered the phone. A couple of minutes later, I hang up and set the phone down. It was Lord Stamfordham, where I was summoned to Buckingham Palace. I'd made my way out of my apartment and waited for a minute or two for a black cab. I'd soon get in.

"Where to?" The driver asked me.

"Buckingham Palace, sir," I replied. The driver glanced at me in the rear mirror, slightly curious, before he started driving. Ten minutes on the road and the black cab stopped outside the gates of Buckingham Palace. I turn the window down as the guard walks up to me.

"Douglas Everleigh. The King wishes to have a private audience with me," I told him.

"Of course, sir," He replied, and the gates opened. The black cab went in and stopped outside the entrance. I look at the driver.

"How much, sir?" I asked him.

"It's on me, sir."

"I insist, sir, so if you continue to say that it's on the house, then I'll be forced to pay you £20," I said as I took the £20 note and set it in the pocket of his jacket before getting out of the black cab, avoiding any more complaints from the driver. He would stare at me as I closed the door and walked to the entrance. Lord Stamfordham would be waiting for me there.

"You're awfully on time." Lord Stamfordham commented.

"Eh... I do have a knack for that," I replied as we entered the Palace. We'd walk to the King's private study. Lord Stamfordham walked in, and I was behind by a few steps.

"Douglas Everleigh, your Majesty," Lord Stamfordham introduced me after he bowed. I'd bow as Lord Stamfordham walked out and closed the door behind him.

"Now, Douglas, I know I have asked you to become my grandson's Private Secretary," The King told me.

"Yes, sir," I stated, "My training is going quite well, sir."

"I will be talking to my grandson later after you, so why don't you drop by Kensington Palace later today to see what he is up to?" The King continued, "After all, you are Alexander's Private Secretary. It's best that you would need to know his schedule and all."

"Of course, sir. I will make a note of that. Is that all, sir?" I replied, making a note in my mind regarding it.

"Yes," The King started but contradicted himself with a "No" moments later.

"What is it, sir?" I asked, curiosity taking over.

"Whatever Alexander does, and will do, will be beyond the norm of the traditional view of the Royal Family. You need to understand, he's not the traditional and typical Prince, and a member of the Royal Family. Is that clear?" The King told me, looking at me straight in the eye, expecting an answer.

There was a short silence.

"Yes, sir," I replied after clearing my throat.

"If he asks you to do things that don't seem normal for a Royal to ask a civil servant, do not object but to obey and carry it out. It may be in your best interest to do it," The King continued.