LXXVI. Emily

Friday, 14th February 1936

I would be in my office at the headquarters, working as usual. An agent walked in, with a small box. She put it on the table, right in front of me. I glanced up, with a questioning look. 

"It's from Douglas, ma'am," She told me, and I nodded. She nodded and left, closing the door behind her. I set my pen and paper down before taking the box and opening it carefully. 

It contains a single rose, a portrait and an envelope. I smiled as I took the envelope and opened it with care. 

Dear Emily, 

I am sorry that our first Valentines are spent apart. But I have never really confessed my feelings for you, and Valentine's Day is the perfect day to express it. I am in love with you, and there's no denying it. I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to realise my love for you. Which is very unlike Alexander and Isabelle... Those two are undeniably in love, and possibly denying their own feelings. But enough of those two... There is no need to reply to this letter if you are busy, for I understand as Alexander is making us all on our toes, getting ready for war. 

Love,

Douglas

I laughed quietly towards the end, knowing that it rings true. I then took the rose out, and put it in a vase that I found, after pouring water in it. I left it on my desk before taking the portrait out. I saw that it was signed by Alexander, and the portrait was Douglas and me. 

'Guess someone commissioned Alexander to do a portrait...' I thought with a tad bit of amusement. I put it in a frame, before putting it on my desk, next to the rose. I would then spend the rest of the day, just working.