Breakfast with the Princess

Twenty-eight minutes later Elle stood before Azula's seated form carefully balancing a tray as she set it down before her mistress.

Azula silently inspected the contents of her breakfast with a discerning eye while watching as her handmaid obediently set her food out for her.

Elle's smaller plate sat in the corner of the tray while amber golden eyes glanced over its contents.

She couldn't help but notice that her servant's plate was devoid of meat of any kind.

But she quickly shrugged it off while peering back at her loyal pet.

"Early once more. Good girl." Azula stated strictly while she watched her servant set down her food tray.

"I endeavor to please you, Mistress Azula. Would you like for me to stand or kneel before you while you eat?" Elle answered sweetly while she bowed at the waist before the seated princess.

"No. You may get a chair, and sit beside me." Azula spoke while grasping at her plate of food with her pet staring down at her in surprise.

"Are you certain, Mistress? I don't mind waiting to eat. I understand that my princess comes first." Elle spoke with a warm smile adorning her lips as she beamed back at the stoic woman.

The submissive words truly pleased Azula.

And yet all the same, she wanted to get to know her servant better.

"Are you questioning my will?" Azula demanded while narrowing her cold eyes as she delighted in how the girl trembled.

"N-no, Your Highness. I-I am just trying to be the best pet I can be." Elle stuttered much to Azula's delight while the woman glanced up at her smiling.

"Hm. Good girl indeed. Now do as you were ordered!" Azula commanded while watching as the younger girl scrambled for a chair.

She observed in amusement as the girl dragged one of the spare chairs over before placing it beside her taller throne.

There was little purpose for the arrangement of extra seating in her study.

But from time to time Ty Lee and Mai would accompany her to her study...

She never imagined that she would one day be allowing a servant to sit beside her.

"A-arigatou gozaimasu, Azula-sama, for t-treating me well." Elle mumbled as she timidly peered down at the extravagant tabletop.

"Don't get too sentimental, servant. I am simply maintaining this standard in order to continue to receive optimum service." Azula replied while turning to peer down at her young companion with icy eyes.

"As you say, Mistress...would you like for me to fill your cup?" Elle requested softly while Azula gazed at her in grudging approval.

That was what she adored about this girl.

Even when she granted her privileges that no other servant has. Instead of slacking, Elle labored even harder than before.

"You may. But do not spill it." Azula stated strictly while Elle poured orange juice from the jug into her cup.

"I am good at pouring, Princess. I won't spill it!" Elle exclaimed while smiling tenderly at her mistress's emotionless face.

"I will admit that you are well coordinated. Tell me more...about where you come from." Azula commented while taking a regal bite of her eggs.

"My...homeland?" Elle repeated with the barest loss of joy while gazing at Azula's stoic face.

The princess swallowed her food while glancing at her servant with understanding in her brilliant eyes.