chapter 16

Avery
Elijah had gotten an intern to take notes in the meeting and me and hannah were on our way to the smoothie bar, max was a few floors down so Elijah said he would meet us there. "So what do you suggest" I ask as the doors of the elevator opened, we had reached the floor. "Bannana and strawberry is always good" she tells me as we walk to the smoothie bar. "Hi girls" we turn and see max stood behind. "Hello sir" hannah replies. "You can both call me max you know" he says and hannah turns bright red. Looking between them it was obvious even to me that they both liked each other. "Ok let's get these smoothies" I say breaking the silence. I decide to go ahead, letting both hannah and max walk together. "Wait up kid" max shouts and I stop, deciding it would be best to wait, I didnt want max to get angry with me. "Sorry, I'm just excited about the smoothies" I say once they catch up. Max laughs "I suppose you can go ahead" and hearing him say this i practically skip ahead. I reach the smoothie bar, I turn around and see max and hannah nowhere in sight. There was a few people sat at the tables drinking but nothing too scary so I decide to go and order a drink, I would have ordered max and hannah a drink but I didnt know what they wanted.

I took a seat on a bar stool and waited for my smoothie to be ready. I wasnt really paying attention to anyone, i guess that's why i only noticed 3 women stood next to me when they spoke. "Who are you" one asked, all three looked at me with disgust. "Avery and you" I reply wanting to be polite but I didnt like them at all. "Well avery, kids like you dont belong here"  I really didnt like her. "And what do you mean by kids like me" I ask. "Poor, homeless,  charitycases." She listed and I felt my stomach drop. I put on a brave face and decided to reply "I'm wearing a hoodie, I doubt you would get away with wearing one,  just shows that I'm close to the boss" I tell her. "Are you his new whore" she added and her friends laughed, one of them continued "nah shes his fuck toy" tears whelled up in my eyes and I started to have difficulty breathing.

"Avery"

I look up and see max and hannah. Max had shouted and he came rushing over. "hannah, get the boss" he ordered and then i began to see little dots of colour.

Max

I decided to let Avery go on ahead, I may have wanted hannah alone with me for a minute so after sending her off we began talking. After minutes she tells me that we should be going to the smoothie bar and so we make our way there.

"Avery" I shout as I see her struggling to breath. I rush over to her, this wasnt good. "Hannah, get the boss" I order and she practically runs off. I look back at Avery and her eyes are beggining to close. Shit. "Avery stay with me" I say but it was to late. She was unconscious. My head snaps to the three women who were stood near her when this happened. "What the fuck happened, were you the cause" I snap and they all shake there heads. I wasnt convinced though, if they werent the cause then why werent they helping her. "Well stick around I'm sure the boss would love to talk to you" I say, my tone was anything but pleasant.

"Where is she" elijah shouts, he seemed frantic and desperate.  "Over here" I call and within seconds hes stood next to me and is picking Avery up. He holds her unconscious body tightly almost as if hes afraid she will disappear. "What the fuck happened max, I told you to watch her" he shouts at me which made me feel guilty. He had trusted me to watch her do nothing like this happens and it did happen.  I failed at keeping my own niece safe. After so long, she was finally back where she belonged and I messed up. "I'm sorry elijah" I say knowing there was no excuse for my behaviour.  "If I may sir, it wasnt his fault. We let her go on ahead just for a few minutes as she was so excited" hannah interrupts and I couldnt help but smile at her. "Well both of you have proved irresponsible and when she wakes, she will be telling me what caused it, you better hope it couldnt have been prevented" he snarled. Damn. "I'm sure it was natural causes, maybe her weight" one of the women that was next to her said, she definitely seemed nervous. "And who the fuck are you" he asked. "They were stood next to her before she passed out, they didnt even help her" I  tell him and Elijah goes to next level anger "what the fuck did you do to her" he shouts but non of the women say anything. "You know what I'll just watch CCTV, all three of you are fired for not helping her" he shouts and storms out, carrying avery with him.

Elijah
I stormed out of the smoothie bar and made my way back io to my office. I couldnt help but keep checking Averys pulse,  I'm just hoping she was tired and collapsed, not some serious illness. I was indecisive about calling a doctor because I saw how nervous she was last time, I think I'll give it a few hours and if she doesnt wake then I'll give the doctor a call. I placed her on the sofa of my office and went to my laptop to watch the cctv. As I watched I felt angry, those women would pay, it was quite obvious that Avery had a panic attack from what they told her and she had slipped into a unconscious state. I just hoped she would wake up soon.