Chapter 66

BRIAN'S POV

My body and mind were exhausted from waking up so early doing interviews for our newest album. But I knew that it would be pay off because our fans' reactions would be worth it.

Today was our last interview for this day. Tomorrow we would be the musical guest for SNL. I was excited since we would premiere our newest single. I hoped with all my heart someone would be watching me..

"Dude you ready?" Nick knocked on the door.

"Huh? Oh yeah, let's go."

I looked at myself one last time in the mirror before heading out the door.

As Mitch opened the entrance door I could hear the screaming. "Brian! Kevin!" The fans were outside of our rented place ready to catch a glimpse of us.

I waved at them as I made my way to the vehicle. "Brian! Brian! Where's Annie?" I heard someone say as I scooted into the car seat.

"Wow it's crazy out there!" Nick said with a wide smile on his face.

Our car made its way to the radio station '77 WABC' where our interview was. "You ready?" Kevin asked us.

I nodded, "Let's go!"

Our car parked behind the radio station and we were led into the tall building. "Wow," I whispered to myself as I looked around. The building was tall and had that office feeling.

We followed Mitch into the main room of the radio station. Unfamiliar faces greeted us with smiles and asked us if we wanted coffee. Others would ask us for a photo.

Howie fixed his coat, "After this I'm going to get some sleep." We laughed and waited until it was time to go live.

"Good morning New York!" said the announcer into the microphone.

"Today is pretty cold out so grab some coffee and stay tuned because you won't want to miss today's special guests, the Backstreet Boys! They will be on right after these messages."

We sat inside the radio station room and waited until we could finally be on air. Nick kept pulling my chair until Kevin made him stop.

"You're listening to '77 WABC' and welcome back with our guests the Backstreet Boys! How are you guys?"

"Well good morning everyone. We are doing pretty good and thanks for having us ," Nick spoke first.

"Who wouldn't what to be in the same room as the Backstreet Boys? So tell us about what you all have been doing."

Aj leaned forward to speak, "Oh you know making new music for our fans. Actually not much apart from that."

Dj Z laughed, "New album? Care to tell us a little bit about that? What can we expect from this new album?"

"You know Dj Z if it wasn't for our producer and manager we wouldn't be here. Um no actually there will be more acoustic sound and raw material. I got a call from management saying we needed to have our music done," Kevin explained.

"Very cool. Well we cannot wait for this new album. What can you tell us about the first single?"

I cleared my throat, "Well I cannot say much, but I can say watch SNL to find out! When we wrote our first single we actually finished it in Napa Valley. Then we headed to Las Vegas because our studio is there and eventually finished the album there."

"Las Vegas? Then that will be some album and we cannot wait until it comes out. When can we expect the new album?"

"Next week," Howie said.

After Dj Z asked us some insights we had made while in Las Vegas the interview was coming to an end.

"Wait, before we leave there is a special caller on the line for you. Hello? Gives us your name and what would you like to ask the boys," Dj Z asked the unknown caller.

"Hi I'm actually a close friend of these fellows and my question is that are there any songs dedicated to Annie?"

I knew that voice very well.

ANNE'S POV

I didn't know if I was ready to ice skate with my dad. But this could be better than ice skating with someone else.

"Are they too tight?" my dad pointed at the skates.

I shook my head, "No they're perfect."

I got up and my dad took my hand. It felt strange that my own father was guiding me to the ice.

"Don't let go," my voice trembled.

He looked at me, "I won't. Ever."

When my skates connected with the ice I was afraid to move. I wanted to go back and just watch from the bench. Why did I agree to this?

"It's ok Annie. I've got you," my dad said.

I trusted what he said and moved my feet on the ice. I was wobbly and had no clue which feet to move first.

"Here grab onto my arm," he offered his arm to me.

I held onto his arm and my dad led me further into the ice. Wow since when did he know how to ice skate? "Dad how do you know how to skate?"

"Oh, well I brought your mother here one time and made a fool of myself. It was our third date actually. I promised myself to learn and well here we are," he smiled.

"Do you miss..mom sometimes?" Why did I ask that? Of course he did.

"Not really. I used to, but knowing she doesn't miss me made me forget the pain," he said softly.

I rubbed his arm with my free hand, "I'm sorry. Maybe you'll find your other half someday."

"Maybe honey, but right now let's just focus on you and your sister."

Even though I didn't know how to skate, I was having fun being guided around the ice. The noisy couples made me think of Brian.

When we were done skating we walked to the car. I got in the passengers seat and put on my belt. My hands were freezing so I turned on the heater.

"You ready?"

I nodded, "Yes."

A few minutes later the car was warming up and I wanted to sleep. Maybe Christmas music would help set the mood. After searching for a station I settled on one that was playing 'Last Christmas.'

I laid my head on the window and watched the road go by. My stomach was growling for food. Last Christmas ended and I ended up looking for another station. 

"-and eventually finished the album there," said the voice that I had missed deeply.

Even through the radio I felt as if he was next to me.

*I'll post again on New Year's Day 😊🎉*