Chapter 1

THIRD SEMESTER OF UNIVERSITY

"Look at the stars, Annie," he said. I smiled and looked up at the night sky. The stars were shining really bright that night. "They're very beautiful," I softly said. " Exactly, just like you," Brain said as he gently ran his fingers across my face.

I wanted this moment to last forever and for me to not ruin anything.

"Hello, Annie! Annie! " a voice interrupted my thoughts. I jolted a little bit and looked over at Madeline. "Uh..yeah what happened?" Madeline did a sigh," Is this the correct answer to the math problem?"

She was annoyed and violently pointed at the notebook. I skimmed it over, not knowing if it was truly correct or not. "I don't know. I'm sorry."

Madeline sort of rolled her eyes at me," Anne, what is going on? Are you ok? You've been spacing out all day..." She said to me.

She was right, I have been not myself today. I knew why, but I didn't want to say anything to her. Madeline can be a tad too much sometimes when doubt is around.

"I know. My apologies, it's just exams that's all," I explained. "Sorry doesn't cut it Annie. You need to get yourself together because we have finals coming up. If we don't pass, then what?"

She was right, I did need to get myself together. I just didn't know if I had the strength to do so.

I sighed deeply and began to focus on math.

After a good few hours, my head began to ache from all the thinking I've done. "No more please," I threw my pencil on the table in front of me."

"What do you mean? It's only been four hours. We need to keep going or else we won't pass?" Madeline said getting my pencil and trying to hand it back to me.

I shook my head," No, you keep going. I'm going to stop and continue tomorrow. Maybe."

I checked my phone and it was almost 7:00 p.m. I closed my book and put it in my hand bag," I'm going home. I'm hungry and I need to work on other stuff," I said as I packed up my stuff.

She nodded," ok, but tomorrow after school we are going to the library. At the library which the environment is more..studious." I smiled," alright I'll see you tomorrow then. Bye Madeline." I put on my bag and she said bye to me.

I walked home. After all, my house was only the next block from Madeleine's house. As I walked home, the darkness began to get revealed and the sun was setting.

The air felt so fresh against my skin. Then the flashback came back.

"Want to go on that ride?" Brian pointed at the scary rollercoaster. I hesitated hearing the screams," No, what if I die?" Brian began to laugh," You're NOT going to die, Annie. I'll protect you. I promise." 

He took my hand and convinced me that it was going to be alright. As we headed over to the ride, my stomach began to get nauseous.

I wanted to tell him I might barf, but I didn't want to worry him. I hated waiting in line because the waiting makes me impatient and builds up my nauseous.

Brian wiggled my hand," Are you ready? It's going to be so much fun. You'll see." His words made it feel like it was the safest ride ever. I half smiled," Not really, but for you I'll be ready right now."

As we got on the ride, my palms began to sweat and my fingers shook uncontrollably. I tried to control it, but it was really hard.

When the bars that hold onto you went down, I held onto dear life. But then Brian held my right hand and made it a little bit better. He smiled knowing it would help.

The ride took off.

I didn't begin to think about being scared, but instead on the air that felt fresh against my skin. Brian was laughing, having a good time.

"After all this time, I still can't forget you," I whispered to myself.

"Hey, watch where you're going !" A man said as I bumped into him. "I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention," I apologized.

I was exhausted as soon as I got home. I put my bag on the couch and served myself some water. It was refreshing and made my thirst subside.

Then I headed over to my bag and took out my books. All the way at the bottom, Never Gone was there, a backstreet boy album.

Brian had given it to me on the first day of release. I hadn't taken off the wrapper yet.

And I wasn't sure if I was going to.