Chapter 53

"How the hell do you find the tax cost?" Madeline was turning her math book to find the answer. "Um I'm not sure. What problem are you even doing?" I asked trying to look at her homework.

Madeline shut her math book, "Ugh I hate this class!" She sat there biting on the tip of her pencil. I laughed softly, "I'm sure the answer is in there somewhere. Did you write the notes for that chapter?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'll look again," she said opening her notebook. We were there for a good while. I had to read a chapter for my political class and then answer the five questions. It seemed like five when really it felt like ten. The questions were the ones where you have to really pick at the question.

The ones where your brain would hurt and your hand would cramp. Those type of questions.

As we finished up studying my head was beginning to hurt me. My stomach growled and I felt parched. "Are you done?" I closed my books and began to put them into my backpack.

Madeline was mumbling to herself as she finished writing. "Are you done?" I asked again. She looked up at me, "Oh sorry I was just reminding myself the homework I still need."

She got her notebook and shoved them into her bag. Madeline always carries those big bags that resembled Mary Poppin's bag.

As I waited for Madeline to be done I took out my phone and texted Brian.

Me: Hi, when can you come?

Brian ❤️💞: soon.

Soon? Was he busy or just didn't want to come pick us up?

I wanted to send a message back, but his one worded response irritated me. I put my phone away and waited for Madeline to pack up her shit.

As we got into the autumn air it felt nice. It was finally starting to feel like November.

"I am starving. When is your rockstar boyfriend coming?" Madeline took out her chapstick and applied it to her lips. She offered me some, but I just shook my head.

I shrugged my shoulders, "Who knows?" Why was a one worded message making me upset? Maybe he was on the freeway and didn't want to text while driving.  Or maybe he was running late.

Madeline looked over at me, "I thought you sent him a message or is he not coming?"

I sighed loudly, "I did."

"So what's the problem?" Madeline adjusted her bag.

"Nothing," I crossed my arms as we began to walk.

Madeline scoffed, "Why are you acting as if nothing happened? Something must've happened if you're being pissy."

"I asked him if he was coming and all he said was 'soon.' Soon Madeline," I could feel the anger in the back of my throat.

Maybe I was taking my anger out on her since she didn't tell me about Nick.

"Annie maybe he was busy. Don't assume that," she tugged at my arm. I tried to pull away, but she wouldn't let go.

"Annie stop he isn't mad at you or anything. Relax," she let go of my arm.

I sighed knowing she was right. All I wanted for Brian to send me a nice message. Was that too much to ask?

"You're right. I'm sorry. I feel like a complete psycho girlfriend," I admitted.

"Eh it's ok. There's been worse than you. Come on, let's go wait by the usual stop," she said as she pulled my arm again.

We didn't wait that long until Brian showed up. But the ride home was silent and I didn't know what to say.

I kept looking over at Brian and I could see him clenching his jaw.

When me and Brian got home he seemed disturbed. I watched as he slammed the door and seemed angry. I followed him into my room.

"Brian are you ok? You seem..not yourself. Is there.."

"Not now Annie!" he shouted. He has never shouted at me before. My eyes widen after he said that. I think he knew he shouted because he turned to me.

"Annie I'm- "

Before he could finish whatever he was going to say I left the room. I could feel the anger mixed with tears in the back of my throat. My chest was rising with anger. I took my extra spare of keys I had and got out of there.

"ANNIE!" I heard him yell as I walked over to Madeline's house.

BRIAN'S POV

I heard the front door slam after I had told her that. How could I shout at her? I regretted the words when I saw how she looked at me. It shattered my heart and it was my fault.

I grabbed my bag and kicked it. I kicked it until I decided to go after her.

I went outside and caught a glimpse of Madeline's door closing. She had gone to her house and I had to go there.

I stood there thinking of what to say. If Nick hadn't boiled my anger this wouldn't have happened. Actually this wouldn't have happened if I started that conversation.

I was upset at Nick and was taking it out on the one who truly loved me. What an idiot I was..

I began walking toward Madeline's house and stopped a few inches from the front door. I took a deep breath and knocked.

I heard noise and then seconds later Madeline opened the door. She rolled her eyes at me, "What do you want?"

I rubbed the back of my neck, "I came to see Annie." She looked back and then at me, "She doesn't want to see you."

Those words burn inside me, "I need to talk her. Please." I probably sounded pathetic begging, but I didn't want to lose Annie. Not again.

She sighed, "Just go cool off and then come back, ok?" Then Madeline closed the door and I felt like I was standing out in the rain.

She was right and I needed to take it easy. I went back to the house and got our keys. I went back outside and locked the door. I decided to go for a drive. Maybe that would help me.

As I drove I decided to go to the one place where I could truly get it off my chest.

*im gonna start double updating so I can finish this book already :)*