Chapter 29

Madeline started laughing, "I thought I just heard you say Brian was your ex.'  I looked at her, "I did."

Madeline stopped laughing, "You're joking right? You're just messing with me."

I shook my head, "I'm not. I'm being serious. I used to date Brian. That's why what happened tonight happened."

Madeline got up from the bed, "So you mean you used to be Brian's girlfriend? Is that what you're saying?"

I fixed my position on the bed, "Yeah that's exactly correct."

She sighed," Why didn't you tell me this before?"

I stayed quite before telling her, "Because I didn't think you'd care and I didn't even know you at the time. I dated Brian during my senior year. ."

Madeline huffed, "But we were already friends during our first semester of university and now. You had that whole time to tell me..

"I know, but.."

"No just stop..," the words barely made it out. 

Madeline looked at down for awhile and got up to leave me there. I knew she wouldn't take this like I thought she would.

I followed her, "Madeline I'm sorry. I didn't you know you  at the time. Did we really have to tell each other everything?"

She stopped before completely exiting the room, "Are you mental? Annie I told you everything. Why couldn't you? You were my first college friend.."

I could tell she was hurt. She was right, I did have enough time to tell her about me and Brian.

"Madeline..I'm sorry. Let's just forget this ok? I just thought you didn't want to know.."

She scoffed, "Annie I'll always want to know. You know that."

"I know. Look.." I began to say.

"No. You don't know. You don't know anything. Maybe I'm making this a big deal and I don't care. But don't forget I was your one friend from college," her voice began to break me.

"But I know now. Please.."  I said.

"Anne, I think we should talk about this in the morning. It's late and we might say things we will regret. We aren't ready to lose each other. I'll sleep here tonight," she pointed to the luxurious couch.

"But I want you to sleep with me," I said.

"Anne. It's alright. Please go to sleep," she demanded.

We got ready for bed. This night was going to be lonesome.

I couldn't sleep. I kept tossing and turning. The bed was big enough as it was. Now it was even bigger with me just in it.

I laid on my back and looked up at the ceiling. I hadn't noticed until now that there were designs on the ceiling. I traced them with my fingers.

Time passed by until I had fallen asleep.

A hand gently shook my arm, "Wake up. I don't want to eat without you."

I don't know what sleeping position I was in that my arm was asleep. I opened my eyes and saw Madeline next to me.

"Can't I sleep more?" I stuffed my face into the pillow.

"No we are going to eat. Plus it's already 8 am," she said 8 am loud enough for me to hear.

I groaned, " are you still mad?"

"A little, but it's lonely without you. Please, we can talk over breakfast?" She poked my arm.

I sighed heavily, "Alright fine. I'm up."

We ordered breakfast and began to feast. We talked and I told her everything about Brian. I told her the memories and the heartbeat. Plus we both forgave each other.

She sipped her orange juice, "Maybe you can win him back. Maybe he misses you."

I shook my head, " He doesn't miss me. He's moved on."

"How do you know? Has he said anything?" Madeline stuffed a piece of pancake into her mouth.

"No, but if he missed me he would have come after me, don't you think?" I asked.

"Maybe he was going after you? I think I should help in wining your guy back," she made her eyebrows go up and down.

"I don't know. He doesn't love me anymore.." I said quietly.

"That's what you think. But if he loved you after you left I'm sure he still does," she sort of sang.

Could that be true?

BRIAN'S POV

My alarm went off making me jolt. Why did I even set up that alarm? I reached over my bed and turned off the alarm.

I laid there a few minutes realizing it was a new day. A new day meant morning.

I got up and prepared myself.

I didn't want to think about it, but we had to move to a new arena tomorrow. Today was rehearsals. The very thought of it made me scared.

Not because we were going to a new location, but because of Anne. I would be far from her.. again. So today I had to take a chance.

After eating and going over the Backstreet Boys schedule, I headed over to the same arena from last night.

"Brian you're early!" said a crew member.

"Yeah I need some extra time," I said.

I headed over to our dressing room and waited until all the guys arrived.

"So I was thinking since tomorrow we won't be here anymore that I should.." I said before being interrupted.

"That you should go see Anne, right?" Kevin finished what I was going to say.

I nodded, "Right. I can't risk not seeing her even for a few minutes."

The other guys looked at each other as if already they knew what to say. "Then go."

I had a bit of shock in me, "Really? Just like that?"

"Just like that," Nick said.

My heart began to race. Aj told me the name of the hotel and where it was.

"You go, but be here before we start rehearsals," Kevin said.

Before leaving they all wished me luck and patted my back.

I didn't even know what I was going to say or how to say hi. But I knew I wanted to see her.

Deep down I wondered if she wanted to see me too.