Secret Love [a]

Another song fic... let me know if you like it. I wasn't going to write this but I felt the song fitted so perfectly I had to

~

Riley could taste the salty tears on their lips as they kissed. James' hands soothingly caressed her hips, securely holding her in his arms. They pulled away and gazed at each other through tearful eyes.

"Bye" she whispered, stepping out of his embrace.
James let his arm be pulled away with her until she was out of reach and he let it fall to his side.
"Bye" he choked.

Avoiding further heartbreak and inevitable pain, Riley turned on her heel and ran out of the room wiping tears from her cheeks. James stumbled back until he hit the cold wall behind him, closing his eyes and sighing.

He watched as the door swung slowly on its hinge, the only sign that she had been there for all other traces were gone. Their forbidden relationship was a secret because they knew that as soon as someone found out they would be separated.

We keep behind closed doors
Every time I see you, I die a little more
Stolen moments that we steal as the curtain falls
It'll never be enough

They danced on opposing dance teams, often competing at the same competitions against one another. While it was impossibly hard being 'rivals', competition season was the time where they saw each other most often, so that was a blessing.

Only today, the star crossed lovers had escaped to an old storage room on their breaks to see each other for the first time in weeks.

"I missed you so much" Riley grinned, throwing her arms around his neck, hugging him.
James buried his head in her hair, breathing in the intoxicating scent he had craved since their last meeting.

"I know" he mumbled into her hair, "I missed you too"

As you drive me to my house
I can't stop these silent tears from rolling down
You and I both have to hide on the outside
Where I can't be yours and you can't be mine
But I know this, we got a love that is hopeless

James parked his car a block away from Riley's house and paused. She didn't make any attempts to get out of his car and he wasn't going to make her.

"See you..." he trailed off, not knowing when they'd be able to see each other again. He glanced at Riley and saw her tear stained cheeks and swollen eyes.
"Come here" he said, opening his arms out so she could melt into his embrace.

He kissed her temple firmly and cradled her body in his arms.
"Why do I have to go?" Riley asked rhetorically. "It's not fair"
James shook his head, attempting to stop the tears that were welling up in his own eyes. "I know baby, I know. But one day, we'll be able to be together properly"

Why can't I hold you in the street?
Why can't I kiss you on the dance floor?
I wish that it could be like that
Why can't it be like that? 'Cause I'm yours
Why can't I say that I'm in love?
I wanna shout it from the rooftops
I wish that it could be like that
Why can't it be like that? 'Cause I'm yours

"I wish I could tell everyone how much I love you" Riley whispered to him as she prepared for her duet. "I wish it could be you I am dancing with on stage for everyone to see"

James looked down at her with a sad smile "one day babe"

Riley blushed at the nickname and longed to be able to kiss him. Alas, the wings were far to crowded and they really shouldn't be speaking to each other at all, let alone kissing. James could see the sadness in her eyes but knew he could do nothing about it in that moment.