Part of This Family [f]

Riley knocked on the familiar front door, rummaging in her handbag trying to find the house key submerged somewhere within it. It swung open moments later and Deborah smiled from behind it.

"Hi Deborah, sorry I do have a key somewhere I just couldn't find it" Riley apologised, entering the house. She set her bag down and hugged the maternal woman lovingly. Deborah had always been like a second mother to her, especially in the most recent years of her and James' relationship.

"That's alright dear" Deborah smiled as they ended the hug, "come in, come in"

"James is at band practice so I figured I'd pop in and say hi" Riley said while slipping her shoes off of her feet. The young couple had recently moved into their first apartment but frequently returned to their family homes since they only lived 15 minutes away.

Deborah ushered her into the living room where James' three younger sisters were lounging around. Piper was cradling the family cat on her lap while she scrolled aimlessly through her phone. The two youngest girls were seemingly engrossed in a cartoon that played on the flat screen that was mounted on the wall.

"Riley!" Isla, the youngest exclaimed when she saw her enter. "Come see my picture!"
The little girl jumped off of the couch and grabbed Riley's hand, dragging her to the kitchen where she pointed proudly at a drawing on the fridge door.

"I love it Isla" Riley smiled, removing the magnet holding it up so she could take it in her hands. "Wait, is that me?" She peered at the drawing closely, looking at what looked like a family portrait of multicoloured stick people.

"Yep" Isla giggled happily, "that's mummy, that's daddy, and James and you and Piper and Maisie and me"
She used her tiny index finger to point at each figure into her page as she named them.

Riley found herself somewhat speechless as she looked at the drawing. An overwhelming feeling of belonging crashed over her as she traced her own finger over the coloured family.
"You included me" she smiled, crouching down beside the 6 year old so that she was at the same eye level.

"Yeah" Isla said as if it were a no brainier, "Do you like it?"
Riley nodded enthusiastically, "I love it. In fact I love it so much I'm going to take a picture of it so that I can keep it forever" she said cheerfully, "is that okay?"
Isla nodded excitedly and Riley snapped a picture. Then, happy with the reaction her artwork had received, Isla ran back to the lounge leaving Riley smiling at the picture.

(A/n: Lmao I drew this myself on my phone notes)

"She really looks up to you" Deborah spoke, startling Riley who hadn't noticed the woman leaning against the doorframe. "All the girls do actually"

Riley blushed, replacing the magnet over the drawing so it was stuck on the fridge door again. "I adore them all" she smiled. "It's funny to think Isla was only a tiny baby when James and I started dating"

Deborah nodded, "yes, she's grown up with you as a sister, I think that picture proves that she very much sees you as part of the family. We all do"
Suddenly fighting the urge to cry from joy, Riley walked closer to her. "That means so much to me, thank you"

Just then, a key turned in the lock and James entered the house noisily.
"Hey all" he yelled, dumping his bag lazily on the floor. He found Riley and his mother talking in the kitchen. "Hey ladies, whatcha talking about?"

Riley beckoned him over excitedly, smiling as he kissed her cheek. "Look at what Isla drew" she grinned, watching as her boyfriend studied the artwork. James stared at it, trying to figure out what was so special about a stick figure drawing until he counted the number of people.
"Hey, she drew you" he instantly smiled, turning back to face her. Riley nodded, beaming with a blush on her cheeks.

"Apparently she sees me as part of the family" she grinned, her eyes glistening with tears of joy. James straightened up, turning to face his girlfriend and taking both of her hands in his.

"You are part of the family" he assured, gazing lovingly down at her. In his peripheral vision, he noticed that his mother had departed the room and took advantage of the fact that they were now alone, bowing his head to connect their lips. When they parted seconds later he pressed their foreheads together.

"I love you" he blurted, gazing into her brown doe eyes.
Riley blushed slightly and wrinkled her nose, "I love you too"

She raised herself onto her tiptoes to initiate another kiss, letting go of his hands and sliding hers up his chest. She rested them together around his neck, toying her fingers with the short hairs at the nape of his neck. James kissed her back passionately, massaging her hips and pulling her body flush against his.

"James! You're home!" A high pitched voice squealed, causing the couple to jump apart.

"Hey munchkin" James chuckled, waving at his 6 year old sister. "How are you?"
Isla ran over to greet her brother, having missed him enormously since he moved out. "Good, do you like my picture?"

"Yes it's really good!" James praised in an exaggerated tone, "I love that you included Riley"
Isla frowned, looking back at her mother who had reappeared in the doorway, "why is everyone surprised that I drew Riley?"

Deborah chuckled at her daughter's innocence, "it was a lovely thing for you to include her darling. Why don't you go and tell your sisters that James is home? I'm sure they'll be just as excited to see him"
"Can Riley come?" Isla asked, already in the process of grabbing Riley's hand so she could drag her with her. Riley shot James an amused look and the two girls left the room leaving James and his mother alone.

"Hurry up and make that girl an official part of the family James" Deborah said suddenly, "she's the best thing that's ever happened to you"

James looked up in surprise. He paused, thinking about the ring box that lay hidden in the depths of his bag and internally debated on whether his mother could keep a secret. Eventually deciding she was trustworthy, he smiled, "yeah, I'm working on it"

Sorry it's short, I hope you liked it anyway :/