Boys Night [f]

"Dude you said we'd have a boys night tonight!" Eldon groaned, looking at his best friend with frustration.
Beside him, West echoed his annoyance "yeah man, you always cancel on us for her. It's not cool"

James huffed, stuffing his hands in his pockets and rocking in his heels, "sorry guys, I also kinda promised Ri we'd watch a movie together later. I can't cancel on her"

"But it's okay to cancel on us huh?" West questioned, "come on Max, back us up here"
The tall, dark skinned dancer looked uncomfortable being put on the spot as he said "I like love, but I also like boys night"

"See!" Eldon demanded, "we had plans with you first, not Riley"
"Yeah, it's not our fault you double booked yourself" West added, crossing his arms.

"Alright!" James snapped, "I'll be there. Just let me talk to Ri"

~

"Aw Jay Jay" Riley pouted, sticking out her bottom lip as he told her that he needed to reschedule their plans.
Making the mistake of looking directly into her glossy, brown eyes, James sighed.
"I'm sorry baby, the boys left me no choice"

"It's okayyy" Riley whined, looking up at him with a disappointed pout. "I'll miss you though"
"I'll miss you too baby" he sighed, wishing he wasn't having this conversation. He'd much rather cancel on the boys... again.

"It's not fair, why should the boys get you all to themselves?" She asked, stepping closer to her boyfriend so that she could walk her fingers up his chest. Her hands rested around his neck, "I might start having withdrawals if we're apart for too long"

James chuckled at her exaggeration, "maybe I could ask the guys if you can come along tonight? I'm sure they won't mind?"

~

"Absolutely not!" Eldon yelled down the phone, "this is a boys night! No girls allowed, it's literally the only rule"
"Come on man, you'll barely notice she's there!" James pleaded. He could feel Riley's gaze on the back of his head, waiting for him to hang up.

He heard a loud sigh from the other end of the line, followed by a reluctant, "if that is what makes you come then fine. But you're paying for the pizza"

"Sweet! Thanks dude" James cheered, giving his girlfriend a thumbs up. "We'll be over at 7"
"James?"
"Yeah?"
"Don't make me regret this"

Then he hung up, leaving James listening to the silence of a disconnected phone line. Riley watched as he lowered the phone from his ear, throwing her arms around his neck.
"This will be so much fun!" She giggled.

~

The couple knocked on Eldon's front door and waited. It swung open and West stepped aside to let them in.
James lowered himself into an armchair, pulling Riley onto his lap. She angled herself sideways, nestling her head in the crook of his neck and feeling him wrap his protective arms around her.

Eldon chose a movie and started it, handing out popcorn bags and drinks while they waited for their pizza to arrive.

Half an hour later, Max returned from the door holding the pizzas, chucking them on the coffee table in the middle of the room. Out of the corner of his eye, James saw Eldon fish the cash out of his wallet.

The movie continued, occasionally disrupted by a burp competition or one of Eldon's brothers coming downstairs for food.

As the movie reached its climax, James felt Riley flinch on his lap, startled by the gun shot sounds and screaming that blared from the speakers. He cradled her head to her chest, covering her exposed ear as he pulled a blanket over their bodies.