52- Back to Black

"When was the first time you used?"

I had been here a week and it wasn't in London it was somewhere in Surrey, where Remus was from, but it was close enough. He'd visit every other day, but he couldn't stay for long. It was a muggle one so no one knew me here. I had even given them a fake name.

'Kayla Avery.'

Wasn't very original, but it was the first thing I thought of. She had asked me the same question for the past two days and I was yet to answer her.

"Kayla."

"Hm?"

"We've been doing this for two days. We need to hit the ground running."

"Repeat the question."

"When was the first time you used?"

"Dunno."

She sighed and sat back in her seat, her clipboard rested on her knees, pen in hand.

"You have to cooperate."

"Right."

"Lose the sarcasm."

"Can't."

"Why not?"

"It's erm.. who I am." I said smiling widely, again, sarcastically.

She narrowed her eyes and leaned forward, elbows on her knees.

"What's a pretty girl like you wound up in a place like this? You shouldn't be here. You should be living your life."

"What? Pretty people can't have problems?"

"So you admit you have a problem then?"

I clicked my tongue and waved my finger in the air.

She's got you there.

"I'll tell you what my problem is."

"Go on."

"My problem... is..."

She waited for me, urging me to continue.

"That my hair is dry, my nails are chipped and broken and I am in desperate need of a makeover so I need to get out of here."

She sighed and closed her eyes, leaning back in her seat before scribbling something down on the sheet.

"We'll continue this tomorrow Miss Avery."

I got up and left, making my way back to my assigned room. On the nightstand there was a bottle of pills that I had to take twice a day.
They were to suppress the hallucinations. Everything else I had to just grit my teeth and get through.

I laid down, looking around at the room I had found myself in.

Everything was going so well.
How did I end up here again?
Why is it always that I end up here?

I didn't sleep and if I wasn't already insane the sound of the clock ticking was enough to drive me it. I wished that I could do magic, to make the sound stop, but I couldn't. Instead all night I had to endure the sound of it clicking.
Again and again until daylight came.

"You have a visitor."

I got up slowly, following them.

He sat, looking down at this hands.
He had them clasped together, anxiously fiddling with his fingers. I walked over to him and sat, drawing his attention. As soon as he saw me he smiled.

"Hi."

I smiled in return and he reached over and grabbed my hand in his, kissing the back of it.