Head of Pediatrics

Dr. Y/n Karev

M.D., F.A.C.S, F.A.C.O.G. 

Head of Pediatric Surgery 

 I read as I looked at my new lab coat that was sent to my apartment in Boston as I was packing up to leave for my new adventure in Seattle. I may have been a bit ambitious with becoming double-board certified, but I was full of drive and the energy to do it and the hard work paid off. 

I was gifted, not to pat my own back. I graduated high school early at 16, got my undergraduate degree in biology by 18, passed the MCAT during this time, completed my medical training in 3 years and finished at 21, then completed my residency at the top of my game at 25 and passed all the needed exams and board to do so. 

I have now been head of my department here in Boston for about 4 years after being an attending for 4 years. So I guess that puts me at 33 years old. A lot of people find me to be young to be at the top of my field, but that is what happens when you have to the drive and determination.

Alexander was the same way as me. But he didn't have it easy. I am proud of what he has been able to accomplish, I follow him closely when I can. 

There was another doctor I follow who works at Grey-Sloan, Maggie Pierce. She followed a similar path as me and was able to become a Head of Cardiothoracic Surgery at 27. I feel like we could be fast friends when I get there. I admire her work ethic and ambition, just like mine.  

Meredith Grey worked here. I followed her work closely as well. I mean she created mini livers for crying out loud. Who does that?

Arizona Robbins deciding she wanted to pursue Fetal Surgery, stepping down from Head of Pediatric Surgery is something amazing. That is admirable. 

World-Class neurosurgeon Amelia Shepherd works at Grey-Sloan, she is a miracle worker in itself. I always followed her closer than her brother.

There are so many badass women who work at Grey-Sloan. I intend to be another one. Hopefully, they accept me. 

Hopefully, they accept that I am gay. Alexander doesn't know that, but I figured it out pretty quickly after I left Iowa for Stanford University. 

I am sad to leave my home here in Boston, but I have no one tying me here anymore. My girlfriend broke it off with me a while back after a year because she didn't seem like she was in it with me anymore. 

Hopefully, Alexander and I can get back to how we used to be, and I know that's not going to happen overnight, but I just want my best friend and big brother (by five minutes) back. 

I am so excited to start this new journey in Seattle. Who knows what the future will hold?