27|The Past

⚠️ If the story is underlined, it is the things that happened in Colette's past. If it's not underlined, it is the presence.

[Edgar's pov]

I opened my eyes and the headache slowly faded away. I looked around and saw Mortis was standing still and catching his breath Colette was zooming out into outer space.

"W-where are we?" I asked. I looked around, and everything was nothing I've seen before. We were in somewhere probably a sports ground.

"Colette's elementary school." Mortis nonchalantly stated. "We're in the past. Only 3 of us can see each other."

Colette was standing still and didn't move a bit. I lightly tapped her shoulder and she jumped. "You okay?"

"Oh, Umm, yeah I'm good...it's just uhh...the memories suddenly come back like a flood." She smiled sadly. How unbearable is her past?

"Now, come. We'll transfer to a different timing in 20 minutes." Mortis said and led us to a classroom.

A young girl, probably only 5 or 6 years old. She had white and short messy hair with big red eyes, and white skin. The small Colette. She was playing with her friends, and they were all smiling and having fun. "Colette! Let's play hide and seek together!" One of her friend shouted and she happily nodded. "Count from 10!"

But Colette wasn't smiling. She was staring at her old friend fearfully.

A teacher entered. "Colette, your parent has come to pick you up!" After playing for a while, small Colette got up with childish smile and ran to her teacher and held onto her hand tightly. We followed the past Colette, and I could feel the present Colette was trembling.

Having no idea what to do, I held Colette's hand, like how small Colette held her teacher's hand, wishing that'll bring her some comfort. "Thanks." Present Colette gave me a small smile, but I could still feel her whole body tensed up.

When small Colette got downstairs, and saw her parents, her grin grew wider and ran towards them. "Mommy daddy! I had the best week days with my friends!" She shouted. "I'm so happy for you, my sweet Colette. I'm so so sorry we can only see you in weekend, dear." Her mother gave her a small smile. "No! It's completely fine! Working is hard, Colette understands!" She replied immediately and kissed both her mother and father.

Colette squeezed my hand tight. Her eyes focused on the scene.

[Time skipped.]

"We'll now skip to a week later." Mortis said. And within a moment, we were back to the classroom, but the desk was messier and everything looked less happy.

"I'm sorry...I'll bring you back your favorite snack next time. I promise!" Small Colette said with a tear in her eyes. "You're just a liar! You said you'll bring it last time! No more friend!" Her friend shouted. "Please, please! I promise! There won't be a next time..." Small Colette's voice turned small.

I could feel my hand heating up as Colette was sweating. Mortis just stood at the corner of the classroom and sighed. "Kids in the past...." He shook his head.

[Time skipped.]

Suddenly, we flashed to the sports ground. There were hundreds of people there.

"Now, it's the Sports Day." Mortis said, and hid under an umbrella form a stranger.

Colette didn't hold my hands anymore. She was nervously biting her lips, and her hands played with her sleeves, trying to calm herself. It's not going well...

"A student had told me about a horrible case. Maddy, said that Colette pushed her off the running track to hurt her, so that she could win the prize when the competition starts. Here, I want everyone to focus, we teachers, want Sports Day to be competitive, but not in a harmful way. We wish that parents and students could both follow the rules."