77| Pick A Side

[Edgar's pov]

Pick a side.

What does that even mean? That doesn't sound like Emz at all.

"Is that bathtub that luxurious? I tho-thought I could fix it..." Colette kept refreshing the chat, hoping to see more elaboration. And got disappointed.

You should go to find her, I want to say. At least it worked between Colette and me. To solve an argument, is to talk it out. Is to fix it from the very start. Is to start from an end.

"But she told me not to come back today." She exhaled, staring at those 3 words. Did I say that aloud? That doesn't matter. I've never seen Emz and Colette not getting along. So this is low key freaking me out. Women.

"Cole, um, maybe uh, she needs some alone time?" I tried to lighten up the mood, and obviously failed.

"We haven't been talking much for DAYS. There's no way she needs more alone time." Colette frowned. "It's so weird. I just don't feel right. I feel like...disconnected."

Disconnected.

"We should go and find her," I stated, then remembering the dog, sleeping inside my backpack. "And well, we gotta get the puppy to home as well." I laughed nervously.

Colette seemed to be a bit distracted to Blueberries. Her eyes softened as she watched it sleeping soundly, "Perhaps we should go to yours first. Let's not wake him up." For one of those few times, I think distraction isn't such a terrible thing.

"How are you so sure it's a he?"

"Just feel it!"

[1 hour later.]

Colette was on the edge of breaking down.

"Please, we can just go...? Stop making theories, it won't change the fact that Emz is still-"

"WHAT IF SHE HATES ME?" Colette interrupted me for the thousand times. She curled up into a fetal position, trembling on the couch. Blueberries seemed not to be disturbed. He was on the mat, still and peacefully asleep.

I spent another 30 minutes to hold her in my arms, reassuring her over and over again that Emz would forgive her eventually, and that she wouldn't need to be that sad. Perhaps it's something I can't relate. I don't really have a same gender friend. She finally settled down and by that time, the moon was high in the sky, as if it was telling us to follow its lead.

"Let's go."

It might not be a good idea.

Almost 9 o'clock. We took our time to go slowly towards Colette's house. When we got there, it looked same as ever. Just that all the lights were off. And some sort of insects were making noises. Colette rang the bell. "That ain't very nice to break into the house. Although I'm actually one of the masters of the house, that won't give me to right to break Emz' words." She told me earlier.

Then the bell was rung by her hands again. Then again, and again. No one answered. Alright that gives me so much deja  vu. "Emz! Open the door! I just wanna apologize!" Colette shouted, but not down from her throat. She still tried to keep her voice loud enough to get through the door, and low enough to not get through the neighborhood. After that, we just stood in complete silence for a long time.

"Alright. I guess she wants to keep me outside." Colette gave me a sad smile. "I hope she'll forgive me tomorrow."

She's given up already? "Colette, maybe we can- Colette?"

She was frozen.

I turned to her direction.

I was frozen too.