Epilogue II: Miscommunication Trope

[Chloe's pov]

I had an argument with mother. 2 days of silence treatment. I won't deny I'm a horrible daughter, but that didn't make her a better mother. Here, in my room, I was wearing headphones and listened to music like it would exude narcotics into my body and mind. I like getting lost here. It feels understood, by music, sung by some strangers who are now 6 feet underground. Poetry is slowly becoming one of my favorite things. Still I'm not going to tell anyone. That makes me less cool.

Last week, I sneaked out with Percy after my birthday celebration. My parents thought I was asleep. 5 days. And I returned home, got grounded, scolded, mad at. 2 days straight. With only dad's simple words everyday. Silence from mother. She wouldn't even look at me. It's fine. I hate her anyway. I'm 14, can't I have my own space?

I looked at the diary in blood red color. There's a strange hope that I want it to be read and understood by someone. But I also wanna keep it all to myself and remain nonchalant about everything. I guess I'm a born maverick. The second best thing that happened to me yet was that Edward had got his own room. I've never been that grateful. His snorts never disrupted my sleep ever again. But of course, my parents had been worrying about me more since then. They didn't know what I did in my own room. They didn't have to know. I enjoy the serendipity of being alone. School sucks. But at least this bedroom brings me a piece of alone time. Quality. That wouldn't make me hate less my mother though. She still never realized that.

Dear Diary,
Fuck everyone. No exclusives. Argument isn't fun. But it feels good to make mother mad over me. That's some sort of victory. Dad is um, like ever. He never seems to be affected by anything. I sometimes can't imagine why he'll ever fall in love with mother. That never makes sense to me. It's like the arrogant sun and the quiet moon. The cool black and bright white. The Yin and Yang.
Whatever, it's not my business. I believe that my birth is an experiment without condoms. And Edward grows up so differently from me. He's got her red eyes and white hair. I have blue eyes and black hair. The only good thing I got from mother is my skin. She's fair as fuck. I like it. Very ghostly. And perfect match for dark eye shadows. I swear, tattoos are cool as hell. I'll never forgive mother for never letting me get one. Tho I won't let her control me.
And then there is this: Percy actually confessed to

I put down my pencil. Knock 3 times. Stomp 5 times. I slammed shut my diary and shoved it inside my drawer. Cackle, and the door opened. Dad walked in. I adore the code he uses. It gives me enough time to prepare for myself, though I never told him. I looked at him with dead fish eyes, because that's what I always do.

"What?" I said impatiently.

He only shook his head and sighed, "You're gonna hate this talk,  but there's no escape."

[Edgar's pov]

The thing was that our daughter left home without a single word, and ironically came back glowing, though still that same face. I was sure she had fun though, from how she smiled the smallest, and walked with a lighter footstep. Oh Colette, my dear Colette. She cried when Chloe came back. And then after a talk, she got so angry with the reckless risk Chloe took. As everyone can imagine, she's grounded. 2 weeks.

It was noon when I got back home, seeing Colette doing her dishes, looking sad.

"Doing well, beloved?" I walked to her and kissed her in the cheek.

She only sighed. It always breaks my heart seeing her tired. Concerned, I took her face in my palm, "What is it?"

"It's just unfair." She faked a laugh, "The fact I'm gaining so much weight and burnt out for taking 2 kids, and you can go out and work out and look so fine on nearly your 40's."