Chapter 09

Izuku froze. 

The hobo repeated himself with a hint of annoyance added. "You hard of hearing kid? I asked what were you up to in there?" 

Izuku wasn't prepared to ever answer this question. Nobody ever cares who he is or what he does. Now some hobo was sticking his nose where Izuku would rather it not be. His horrible life and on today of all days. He firmly decided that today has been both the best and unluckiest day of his life. 

Confusing concept he would admit but he felt it to be true enough. Finally getting a quirk only for it to end up being the lamest thing anyone could think of. Long life and the means to ensure it does in fact stay a long life. 

That reminded Izuku there was no need to panic about the intrusion on his cutting ritual. No evidence remained. Not much blood from the first few cuts and thanks to his quirk adapting not even new scars.

Having composed himself he decided he at the very least not ignore the nosy man. "Not to be rude sir but this is a bathroom.."

The man sighed again. "Kids.... Look - " He gave him a look like he was waiting.

Izuku wasn't sure if he should give some random man his name, let alone one that looks like a hobo or quite possibly is one... He blurted out the first name he could think of "Nemo"

The man gave him a raised eyebrow. "fine..." he said rolling his eyes at the obvious fake name. "Look Nemo nobody goes into a bathroom to argue with themselves. So what's up? Do you need help? Did you hurt yourself?"

Izuku had a mini debate in his mind hearing this. Does this man actually care? No that's ridiculous. Nobody would waste their time with someone quirkless or whatever lame excuse for a quirk he has now.... Besides he's fine now. No need to involve random strangers.  He reached a decision. He'd test the man.

"I'm quirkless so just leave me alone mister"

Izuku waited for the snort of derision or the gasp of disgust that would usually follow with this announcement. It never came. The man just kept looking at Izuku like he was waiting for something.

"Are you the one that's deaf this time mister, I'm quirkless. Why do you care what I was doing in the bathroom. Just let me go or are you going to hurt me? Don't just stand there blocking the door. Do something or move!" Izuku was yelling without realizing it. 

The man sighed heavily again. He was rummaging in his pockets for something when a phone rang and he answered. "yep? how many? where? On it." He put the phone away gave Izuku a sad look and took out a card. "Here, call this when you reach the end of your rope or if you really need help" With that he turned and left fixing the rag he had for a scarf.

Izuku stood there holding the card the man gave him. "Like anyone would actually care..." He wanted to throw the card on the ground... A small part of him he thought died long ago made him put it in his pocket instead. He left the bathroom and made his way to the park with the tree he and Kacchan would always meet at.

Thankfully he made it there without further distractions and sat under the tree with his back resting against it. Mindlessly he traced a K he had made years ago on one of the tree's roots. Before he knew it he was asleep.

Several hours later he awoke to a car alarm going off in the distance. It was dark. The park was now completely empty apart from Izuku and a couple making out on a park bench. Bakugo never came. This wasn't strange he wouldn't come everyday and sometimes Izuku would  go weeks without seeing him outside of the bullying at school. 

He wished that with how important today was however he would make the time to come. Izuku stood up and decided he couldn't delay seeing his mother any longer. He had hoped some time with Kacchan would give him courage to face her...

Izuku made his way home deciding to walk past the Bakugo household to maybe catch a glimpse of Kacchan on the way home. He rounded the block and saw a horrible sight. There was Kacchan lips locked to some girl. 

Izuku felt a wet patch on his face. He was crying? Why? Bakugo is only his friend. He doesn't even know if he likes boys or girls. Maybe he doesn't like any gender... Does he like Kacchan? Why is Kacchan kissing someone Izuku doesn't even know.

Izuku turned and ran the other direction cursing himself for wanting to see Kacchan. If he had just walked the normal route he'd be spared this feeling. Why does everyone around him already know if they like someone.... 

Why doesn't he? 

He wasn't even sure if he was crying because Kacchan had found someone else or if he was just upset this is why he didn't come to the park. That he found someone else to take up the little time they already had together. Izuku hated himself even more now for his stupid plan to activate a quirk. It cost him the only friend he's ever had. He hated how seeing them made him question if the friendship was even real anymore.