Queen of the nine

"Loki, don't go, don't leave me, please." You pleaded, practically on your knees as you tugged his tunic.

"I—" he began, glancing down at you in a moment of uncertainty before his resolve returned "I must reclaim my rightful throne." He declared.

"B-but you promised," you whimpered, "you said we could leave together, make our own destiny." You sniffled remembering your own cursed fate.

"This is me making my own destiny."

It had been another uneventful day. Between signing truces and assigning roles, there was little room for one's own enjoyment. You had recently taken up crocheting as a hobby yet you found little time to finish any projects. One thing you could agree with your late mother on was that this job wasn't for the faint hearted or anyone with any desire for creativity. This job was demanding, it required those who were able to remain stoic and impartial, something that was unnatural to anyone with any kind emotion. People always waited for smiles, frowns, any slither of adour, something that took every ounce of energy to not express. To do nothing was the hardest job of all. That's why you found yourself breathing deeply when one of your chambermaids greeted you with the news of Queen Frigga of Asgards passing. In that moment, every memory of the place that you had fought to bury deep within your psyche surfaced. The moments spent laughing, learning from Frigga, walking through her flower garden holding hands with Loki, Loki. You bit your lip as you recalled every precious second spent with Loki; the smiles, the kisses, the love, the sex, the promises, the deceit, everything up until the point he abandoned you.

"Your majesty, your majesty." She called, getting your attention again.

"Yes, sorry."

"Will you be attending the royal ceremony?"

"Yes, could you arrange a carriage for me please."

"Of course."

Your journey to Asgard was a quiet one, your gaze cast over the mountains as you tried to bite down every last fragment of emotion you had, especially in front of your foot soldiers. When they looked at you they saw a valiant queen, not a weeping wench; you wanted to preserve the former. The closer you drew, the more uneven your breaths were. You wondered how Loki looked, whether he looked as aged as you no doubt did. After hearing that his conquest for Midgard was unsuccessful, there was nothing more. By the time that you had become queen, you found yourself disinterested in how Loki ended up. You did discover that he resided in Asgard again but you didn't want to visit to be certain, you couldn't. Now however, you wished you had, considering you were about to be reunited with the man who left you the morning after declaring his undying love for you. What if things were awkward? No, this was Loki, your Loki.

"Your majesty, we have arrived." One of the men spoke. You snapped out of your thoughts, looking out of the casement, eyes widening as you took in the familiar gates of the palace. Before you could open the door, it swung open.

"Your majesty." Thor greeted, offering his hand as he helped you out.

"Thor." You smiled, hugging him tightly once you stepped out. You hadn't realised how much you had missed him. "Although I am happy to see you, I apologise that it isn't under better circumstances." You frowned as you pulled apart. His smile faltered for a moment before he replied.

"Thank you your maj—"

"It's simply y/n to you." You noted.

"Y/n then." He corrected himself before pulling you into another hug. You looked around, unable to resist the feeling of despondency you felt at not seeing Loki.