74. ☆ Memory of Us ☆

— Chay has a rare form of short-term memory loss. Every day he wakes up, not remembering anything from the day before. Kimhan is his care assistant. Chay doesn't really need an assistant but Kimhan is also his boyfriend...if only Chay could remember that... 

Chay has been suffering from short-term memory loss since he was a child

Chay has been suffering from short-term memory loss since he was a child. Every day he has to be over and over again reminded of what he did the day before, who he met, what he said and so on.

He has only his mom who works multiple jobs to make sure that Chay gets the best medical care he needs. And he has his care assistant, his boyfriend. It is weird because he knows that he loves Kimhan and he wouldn't change it for the whole world but then he goes to sleep and forgets everything.

Every morning when Kimhan arrives, it's all the same; he introduces himself to Chay and carefully explains to him the nature of their relationship. Chay never argues, he never dismisses Kimhan's words but it always takes a couple of hours for him to embrace Kimhan in a boyfriendly way again. That leaves them only another couple of hours to truly enjoy each other as boyfriends, before Kimhan makes sure that Chay is once again sleeping soundly and he leaves, painfully aware that tomorrow when he comes again, the man he loves the most isn't going to remember him.

From the moment Kimhan saw those deep brown bambi eyes for the first time, he knew that he'd be there for Chay for the rest of their lives. He would do anything for Chay, even go through the agony of not being recognised by him over and over again, dreading the possibility that maybe one day Chay wouldn't believe him, maybe one day he'd be pushed away.

Kimhan walks into the Kittisawasd's house, a small notebook filled with polaroids of him and Chay, their memories, and short poems, carefully placed in his hand. Kimhan worked on it for months. He wants to give Chay something that Chay can read through every day. He got this idea a long time ago but he decided to patiently wait, to put together as many of their memories together as possible.

Kimhan carefully put together polaroids of them on their ice cream date, them sprawled all over each other and watching Christmas movies on the sofa, them walking through a rose garden... he put in tickets from the time they went to see Spiderman in the cinema. Kimhan smiles thinking back to the time they shared their first Spiderman kiss. Next to the cinema tickets are two tickets from the Troye Sivan concert where Chay screamed his lungs out and then lost his voice for a couple of days.

Kimhan grimaces, he still remembers how Chay's mom almost kicked him out of the house. "You are his care assistant. This is what a care assistant does? Where's my son's voice you...you...ah I'm glad Chay enjoyed the concert...whatever!"

There's a short poem that Kimhan wrote for Chay one summer afternoon. It's Chay's favourite. 

~ When the stars scatter around us

And our bones turn into dust

Even then I'll be there

With you our eternity I'll share 

When tomorrow comes

You won't remember our past

That's when I kiss you right

Find my way back in your mind ~

 Kimhan lightly knocks at the door and walks in. His boyfriend is standing by the window, watching a little squirrel jumping from a tree to a tree. Kimhan grips the small notebook tighter and steps forward.

Chay turns around, there's an innocent wonder and a hint of confusion deep inside his bambi eyes as if he is trying to remember Kimhan, knowing this isn't the first time they meet, the first time they'll talk, the first time they'll touch. And then the confusion disappears with a finality of acceptance. Chay can't remember. Not by himself. So instead Chay smiles, "you are my care assistant, right? Mom told me you'll be coming."

Kimhan returns his boyfriend a nervous smile. He doesn't know why is he nervous. Chay loves him. He is definitely going to adore the gift. He clears his throat, "yeah, yeah, that's me. You can call me Kimhan or Kim or anything you want; I'll be more than happy."

Chay blushes a little, playing with his fingers he steps closer to Kimhan, "uhm, that's so nice of you. How do I usually call you?"

'Squishy' it's there on the tip of Kimhan's tongue, he almost says it but no... he gives Chay the notebook first. "Read this and you'll find out," Kimhan holds the notebook in front of Chay, his hand is slightly shaking. He is almost as nervous as he was when he asked Chay to be his boyfriend.

Chay's eyes sparkle, he takes the notebook from Kimhan's hand, their fingers brushing together as he does it, sending a wave of hopeful love through Kimhan's body.

"For me?" Chay's voice is soft and light like the feathers of an angel.

"Yes," Kimhan nods.

"I'll be cooking, come to the kitchen after you read it. Okay?"

Chay grins, "okay!"

•••••

Kimhan is almost done with lunch when he feels Chay's head pressed to his shoulder blades and arms wrapping around his waist.

"I know why you are my squishy because you are so soft to hug," Chay's voice is happy, less shy than before.

Kimhan feels drunk. Drunk in happiness and love. "Do you like it, love?"

He softly asks as he turns around in Chay's arms and kisses his forehead.

Chay nuzzles his head in Kimhan's neck, hugging his squishy boyfriend with all his strength. "Thank you, p'Kim. It's beautiful. The best gift someone ever gave me."

Kimhan sighs in relief, he kisses Chay's temple, "you can remember me now. I'm never going to leave your mind. You are stuck with me."

Chay giggles, he unwraps his arms from his boyfriend and cups his face, his smile wavers down, "I wish that was possible."

Kimhan presses their foreheads together, "I love you, Chay. Whether you remember me or not, I love you. My only wish is to come here every morning and meet the adoring smile of my boyfriend not a polite smile of a stranger. If the notebook helps you with that, that's more than enough for me."

Chay nods, kissing Kimhan's lips, he makes and oath: Chay will read the notebook every morning, before his boyfriend comes, to never again let his mind forget what is engraved on his heart.

Forever.

•••••

Kim meets Chay's mother at the door. "Ah, good morning, Kimhan. I'm sorry, I'm running late but Chay is already waiting." Kimhan knocks on the door and opens it... and then he can't do anything else as Chay hugs him tightly, "hey, squishy. I remember you!"

☆ THE END ☆