Useless sacrifice

On a mountain range between Alberta's border there was an armed group of knights making their way towards the Kingdom of Zestril. On foot it takes approximately one month to travel from Alberta towards Zestril, Zestril was once a small country located in the northern parts of the world. However, over the many years of its foundation the Kingdom has grown to be the second largest kingdom in the Enosh continent by overthrowing other country and making them vassal state. The royal family of that nation is known well for their greed and wanting dominance over the other countries.

Ben a handsome man who was in his late thirties was in charge of delivering the message towards the Zestril Kingdom. He was the third strongest in the Kingdom of Alberta although he wasn't as famous as the commander of the imperial guard 'Sir Matthew' He wasn't that far below him. Many people think he could one day surpass him in terms of strength.

"Captain, we should be making our way out of the forest in roughly three days. According to this map there is a road that extend between the forest and a mountain in the north."

The Knight who seems to be in his early teen said giving his report to his commander. Hearing the report of his follower the captain nodded his head solemnly before making a pondering gesture. The commander then turns his gazed over towards the vast greenery with a look of caution in his eyes.

(The deeper in we go the more likely we are to run into dangerous monster, and yet we have been moving for four days now and there still no sign of one approaching. I can't tell if that's a good thing or a bad thing)

The commander thought frowning to himself. His majesty made the decision that they would try a peace talk one more time, this will decide whether or not there really will be a war.

"Now everyone! Get your things ready we are about to move out."

He shouted, and so they once again made their way towards the Zestril Kingdom.

After walking for roughly 20 minutes, they arrived at a place with an open area. Surrounded by many hills as the sensation of the wind caresses their skin. They walked through the serene field with a hypervigilant gait the only sounds that was audible to their ears was the rustling of the trees, or the noises of the flatten grass beneath their feet.

The commander and his troops advances through the field when he suddenly came to an abrupt stop. The other Knights also came to a stop while looking at the commanders back confusedly.

"Umm...Captain is there something wrong?"

The Knight asks tilting his head curiously. The commander didn't respond to his words instead he looked over his surrounding cautiously while having the feeling something was off.

(What is that presence I felt moments ago, was it just my imagination? No! It can't be?)

Suddenly a magic circle measuring roughly 20 meter in radius appeared beneath their feet. Sensing the danger, the commander quickly turns to warns his troops.

"Quickly leave the circle!"

Ben shouted to his followers behind him. Before putting strength into his legs and took a big leap backwards.

At that moment the magic circle glowed before releasing a huge amount of heat shooting a large amount of fire into the uninhabited sky.

The Ben was able to avoid being hit from the fire, while three of the knights were barely able to make it out in time, as they only had burnt their arms or legs, however unfortunately two weren't so lucky, the two knight that had taken up the rear were late to react to the commanders' orders were burnt by the Intensity of the flame.

Their loud cries sounded into the eardrum of those who had managed to somehow escape the fire. After mere moments later the fire died down two bodies were still standing in the centre of where the circle appeared moments ago however, those bodies were dyed black and it was hard to make out their appearance due to their burnt body, they then fell to the ground turning into ashes and mixing with the wind.

The commander then looked around his surroundings carefully with sweat coming from his forehead.

(Was that a surprise attack, if I hadn't enchanted my senses, I wouldn't have been able to react to that spell just now)

He thought as cold sweat ran down his back, the other Knights were also flustered by the sudden attack, as Knights they were prepared to lay down their life for their Kingdom however knowing that they could've died without anyone realizing it seems to be hard for them to digest. The commander gritted his teeth in anger from losing his own soldiers.

"Oh, as expected from well-trained knights of a major Kingdom. I thought my trap would have at least kill more of you but I guess it can't be help."

The commander turned his gazed towards the forest where the voice was coming from, the voice also gathers the attention of the knights as they all drew their weapons in perfect synchronization.

The sound of footstep resounded as the silhouette of a person became visible to them. Eventually the person came out of the forest wearing a robe that completely conceal his entire face.

"Who are you?!"

The commander asks, while releasing his bloodlust towards the man before him. Feeling the pressure coming from the commander a smile appeared beneath his covered face.

"Hahaha... that's it, it's been a while since I last felt this rush. I am Alister, that's all you need to know."

The man said, while taking a few more steps towards the commander.

"Alister? What nation are you from?"

He asks, narrowing his eyes at the man. The man tilted his head when hearing his next question.

"Nation? I'm not from any particular country you see, I'm simply trying to end this peace you all seem to enjoy so much."

He said, showing a sinister smile on his hidden face. A dark aura surrounded his body making those present have a hard time to breathe. The commander drew his sword from its scabbard before taking a natural stance.

(This pressure, he doesn't seem to be a normal opponent, as the commander I can't allow any more useless sacrifice)

"Listen all of you, when I give the signal all of you must ru-."

"Bastard!"

"No wait!"

Ben was cut off when a single knight rushes towards the robe wearing man, while tightening his grip on his sword. He then shortens the distance between them and swung his sword down wards towards the man. Instead of avoiding the sword by moving out of its trajectory, he intentionally allowed the sword to pierce his left shoulder. The knight then smiled triumphally while trying to pull the sword from his shoulder.

"Weak."

He mumbled disinterestedly, before grabbing the knight by his neck and lifting him up with one hand.

"Chaa... let me-g-go you... Ba-bastard."

He said, while trying his best to take in oxygen. Hearing his words, the man tightens his grip around his neck.

"He Hehe... you want me to let you go? Sure, I'll let you go once you're a lifeless corpse."

Alister said, strengthening his grip a little more to see the face of the knight.

"Wait!"

He frantically shouted, but it was too late. Alister raised his other hand and his five fingers turned into sharp black claws measuring 3 meters, he then thrust his claws towards the knight's chest. each of these five claws then penetrated the centre of his chest.

"Guh."

The knight coughs out a mouthful of blood, as his eyes widens but then they lost their shines. Alister then throws his lifeless body to the ground, while observing the blood stained on his claws with a grin.

"It's been a while since I last tasted blood."

He said, turning his gazed towards the other knights.