chapter 48 - i just need this moment, please

Komi was acutely aware of her growing sense of urgency and inadequacy. The Provisional License Exam loomed just days away, and she found herself starkly unprepared. The weight of her lagging progress pressed heavily on her shoulders. The thought of the missed classwork compounded her anxiety—although the school itself was on a break, the extra assignments and practice provided by Aizawa were meant to bridge the gap. Unfortunately, Komi was unable to take advantage of this crucial support, leaving her feeling more adrift with each passing day.Her inability to copy notes was a significant barrier. She had to rely solely on her strained listening and hope that she could absorb enough to catch up. The difficulty was further compounded by her limited use of her quirk, which left her feeling even more isolated and disconnected. Each week seemed to stretch endlessly, and the longing to regain her vision felt almost unbearable.

In her blindness, she was cut off from simple yet significant details of her daily life. She had no way of knowing what her dorm room looked like or even what her own hair looked like when she left for the day. The mundane tasks she once took for granted, like assessing whether Shoto had cleaned the floors of their shared rooms properly, now felt like distant memories. She had no idea how her scars appeared, and the reflection she used to glance at was now a complete mystery. Even small details, like the color match of her fake tooth with the rest of her teeth, remained uncertain.

Nights were particularly challenging. She lay awake, clutching the pillow of her orange blanket, which seemed to float aimlessly above her in the dim light. She hadn't yet had the chance to show her room to the rest of the class. There was a tradition when everyone first moved into the dorms, a casual event where each student showcased their personal space. While others had their rooms scrutinized and ranked, Komi had been granted extra time to prepare due to her blindness, which had naturally interfered with her ability to tidy and organize her space.From what she could piece together, her room was likely sparse. It consisted mainly of her orange blanket, a few blue pillows, some clothes, and not much else. Komi had always preferred simplicity and minimalism; she found comfort in her modest possessions and had never felt the need for more. Her contentment came from what she had, and she felt a quiet satisfaction in her unadorned space. Despite her current challenges, she was at peace with the simplicity of her surroundings, finding solace in the few things she cherished.

At least, not anything more physical.

There were a few things Komi needed mentally. Like a new brain...or life.
Because there was something wrong with this one. Her life hated her, and for what? For the last 4 days, Komi has thought about nothing but her mother, nothing but her nomu mother who sent letters to her.
She still didn't have the answers to those questions.

Was it the League sending them to trick Komi? Was it all a ruse? Or was it the free will of her nomu mother? Was there still a soul within her other than a mindless killing machine? Komi didn't know, but she also didn't know which one would be worse? Her mother still being her mother, or the only actual blood family she had left not even being real? 
Apart of Komi wanted to know, and apart of her didn't want to know. But all of Komi knew that she would find out either way, because life wasn't a massive fan of her, and her and happiness.

Groaning and twisting herself further into the mess of pillows and blankets that was her little hammock. Komi smacked her hand into her face and stretched, facing her face away from the sunlight that was sweeping through the window-

Wait a damn minute.

Komi shot right up in her hammock and seriously misjudged her balance as she fell over and out of it, thudding down hard on the ground.