Chapter 89

Meng Zhou suppressed the torment in her heart as she looked at her elder brother, who had always protected her since childhood. "Big Brother, do you also think that the dragon clan deserves to die?"

Meng Qiao's brows furrowed. "Xiao Zhou, this is the iron law of the Immortal Sect. Humans and dragons are irreconcilable; all disciples of the Immortal Sect must abide by the rules. When encountering dragons, they are to be killed without mercy."

"But rules are made by people. Are they really immutable and unbreakable? Why must it be this way? I understand the Immortal Sect's hatred of the demon clan because they are inherently savage and uncontrollable, impossible to coexist peacefully. They thrive on fighting and killing, and their presence means constant unrest.

"But the dragon clan is different. They have reason and emotions, just like humans. In fact, most of them do not like living among humans. Before the Dragon-Human War, both races kept to their own territories, and the conflict was not as extreme as it is now, where they fight to the death."

"Xiao Zhou, do you forget why the Dragon-Human War happened? It was the dragon clan that first provoked conflict, destroying the Tianyan Sect and killing so many disciples of the Immortal Sect," Meng Qiao said, unable to accept her words, his tone grave.

"Big Brother, do you really believe it was the dragon clan that did that?" Meng Zhou asked.

Meng Qiao's eyes narrowed, and his expression grew even more serious. "Did Yun Xuan say that?"

Meng Zhou lowered her gaze and whispered, "Yes. I know what you're thinking, but I trust Yun Xuan. She never told me those things voluntarily; I had to ask her. Over the years, I've also investigated myself, and there are many doubts about those events. We only found traces of the dragon clan at the scene, but no one saw it with their own eyes or understood the dragon clan's motives. After the incident, the Dragon King was always negotiating and trying to reach a settlement with the Immortal Sect.

"Brother, you should know the strength of Dragon King Xi Dan. As the king of the dragon clan, no one in the Immortal Sect could kill him, yet he still died. It was because during the negotiations, someone used the Dragon Suppressing Divine Tree to ambush the Dragon King. All members of the dragon clan, regardless of age, even those still in their eggs, were killed without mercy. How can we claim that the Immortal Sect is upholding righteousness and supporting the weak?"

Meng Zhou couldn't understand. When she was young, she heard the elders in the sect speak of the glorious deeds of dragon slaying, and heard her senior brothers and sisters talk about hunting dragons with excitement. She felt curious and vaguely questioned why they always had to hunt dragons.

She even thought dragons were like other beasts, and the Immortal Sect hunted them for materials and inner cores. Perhaps dragons were a rare breed, which stirred such fervor.

It wasn't until she recovered somewhat that she saw the dragons captured and imprisoned in the water prison. She went to take a look out of curiosity. The dragons were shackled and barely alive, their eyes filled with pain and hatred.

She even saw a very small dragon curled up next to the large dragon, its neck shackled. It looked at her with fear mixed with curiosity. When the large dragon was taken away, she clearly remembered the small dragon crying out in despair, calling for its mother.

She was deeply shocked and trembling inside. That night, she had nightmares. The sight of that small dragon's tearful face and its innocent cries became an inescapable nightmare for her.

Since then, she couldn't help but keep an eye on the dragons, seeing how they were tortured into submission and turned into spirit beasts, and many could not bear it and chose to end their lives.