Chapter 144

Luo Qingci felt full of guilt towards Su Yu.

At the beginning, it was because she didn't want to get too entangled with the characters in the book, and later because Ruan Li's situation was too dangerous, forcing her to focus on her. But now, having fully integrated into this world, Luo Qingci no longer saw Su Yu as just an ordinary character, but as a real, living person, deserving more of her attention.

As Su Yu's master, and having received care and respect from her, Luo Qingci knew it was only proper to fulfill her duties as a master, both emotionally and logically.

But looking back, what had she really done for Su Yu? Apart from teaching her for over twenty years and helping her obtain that bamboo whip, Luo Qingci hadn't really done much. In fact, Su Yu often had to worry about both her and Ruan Li.

Luo Qingci wasn't heartless; she did feel sorry for Su Yu. It was just that her own situation made it impossible to balance everything perfectly.

With furrowed brows, her eyes filled with pity, Luo Qingci let Su Yu cry in her arms. Not being able to help was one thing, but not caring was something else entirely.

Su Yu was sincere, kind, uncompetitive, and never showed any jealousy towards Ruan Li. But everyone has emotions. Just because she didn't display jealousy didn't mean she didn't have needs. Everyone longs for special attention.

Though Luo Qingci couldn't give her that kind of special affection, there was no reason to withhold concern and care.

Thus, she removed the cold, distant exterior she used to hide her warmth, and gave Su Yu the tenderness and compassion she, as a disciple, should have received long ago.

Su Yu had suppressed her emotions for too long. Seeing Luo Qingci now, she couldn't hold back anymore and instinctively sought comfort and reassurance.

Luo Qingci's indulgence allowed her to fully release the pressure she had been holding inside, forgetting for a moment the cold and detached demeanor her master usually had, and just cried her heart out.

Her crying was so full of grievance and sadness that it tugged at people's hearts. Cheng Su, who had followed behind, frowned at the sound and couldn't help but tear up as well.

She stood there for a long time, watching Su Yu cling to Luo Qingci like a child, and felt an inexplicable tightness in her chest—whether out of pity or something else, she wasn't sure.

These past days, Su Yu had led the disciples of Tianyan Sect through wind and rain, diligently practicing their skills. Every day after morning lessons, she patrolled the city alongside the disciples of Fanyin Pavilion and Nanhua Immortal Sect, strengthening the protective formations. She worked hard, leaving early and returning late.

The only time Cheng Su had seen her lose her composure was the day Ruan Li's paper crane had arrived. Since then, Su Yu had truly acted like the senior disciple of Tianyan Sect, holding together the remnants of the sect. But now, with Luo Qingci back, she seemed more like a young disciple who had been away from her master for too long, seeking comfort and protection.

Originally, Cheng Su had placed them here out of respect for their relationship, but after spending time together, she had grown quite fond of Su Yu.

Compared to the carefree and casual demeanor Luo Qingci had when pretending to be Chi Qing, Su Yu seemed much more formal and upright, though less cold and aloof than Luo Qingci in her true form.

Su Yu was sincere and considerate, despite appearing stiff. She showed great respect for others. Cheng Su, who had met countless people on her travels, could easily see through Su Yu's rigid demeanor and recognize her genuine, earnest heart.