Chapter 25

We got to the red Mustang and Rhonda just laughed as soon as we got inside the car.

"You are good, Emily.  Really; very good.  Bob is still standing in there wondering what happened." She laughed.

"Well thanks for the heads up Rhonda.  I really don't want to offend him but I really am not interested and I must get back.  I really need to make a good impression on this person.  I still need to change out of my work clothes."

"Yeah, I imagine Harry has some plans for you tonight" she said which surprised me.

My eyes widened and I looked at her.  "How do you know about Harry?" I asked.

"Are you kidding? She said.  "Pictures of you and Harry are hitting the internet.  The one of you being carried over his shoulder was cute.  Heard you guys were at YSL.  That must have been fun.  You are one very lucky girl.  He's hot!  What's he like?" she asked.

"Uh, he's a really nice guy.  I helped him get out of San Francisco and we've just been out a few times.  That's all." I tried to make it sound as though there wasn't much to it.  Truth was, there really wasn't much to say about it, other than the incredibly hot sex which I was not going to tell her about. That was for me and Harry.  No one else needed to know about us or how much I was falling for him.

"Yeah, well he is so hot and sexy.  I don't blame you for wanting to get back to him." She smiled as we got out of the car and walked into this cheesy looking bar.  I have to get out of here I told myself.

We walked into the dimly lit bar and it was just as horrible inside as it was outside.  I was not comfortable here.  I looked at Rhonda and said "Seriously, this is where Bob thinks he is going to make any type of impression?"

"Well, it's cheap they have good, strong drinks" she said.  She looked a little embarrassed.

"I don't like it in here, Rhonda.  I really don't want to be here. Help me please." I begged her.

"Emily, I don't know what to tell you....." she said with a very apologetic look on her face.

"Don't sweat it, Rhonda.  I have it."

"Well, there are my two beautiful ladies.  Come on, we have a table over here." He said as he placed his hand on the small of my back again. 

Once again, I just felt very uncomfortable and dirty having him touch me.  Bob was a good looking guy, tall, blonde, but he also had an arrogance that made him very unattractive.  He knew he was rich and good looking and thought he should be able to get any woman he wanted.  You could tell that about him.  He was or thought of himself as a player.  I didn't like it or him.  I just had to put up with it long enough to get out of here and back to Harry. 

Harry!  I have to call him.  Gemma will be getting in if she isn't already.  Crap! 

"What will you ladies have?" Bob asked.

"Uh, you can order me a vodka sour with extra sour.  I'm a sucker for that mix, I said.  Please excuse me while I run to the little girl's room.  I'll be right back." I said and grabbed my purse and phone.

'Can't wait until you return" Bob said.  Ugh.

I found the ladies room which was horrendous.  I didn't want to touch anything.  This place was a dive in the worst term.

I got into the stall and wiped it down with wipes in my purse.  I sat down and dialed Harry.

"Hi babe, I wondered when I'd be hearing from you.  Are you at the gate?  I'll open it up right away....."

"Harry, I'm not at the gate.  I'm stuck in Long Beach at this dive bar called "The V Room".  I am trying to get out of here.  I talked the supplier out of dinner but he insisted on a drink.  I dragged along his secretary...." I began to explain.

"Emily, you are supposed to be here already.  Gemma is here.  Why the hell are you still in Long Beach and at that dive place?  Please baby, get out of there.  I don't like the sound of it and you need to get out there.  I don't trust this guy and I haven't even met him.  Please.  I'll push the reservation but you must leave now."  He sounded frantic.

"Harry, babe I am working on it.  We got here 5 minutes ago.  I am getting out of here.  I promise!"

I quickly hung up the phone and then decided what I was going to do.

I walked out of the bathroom with a horrible look on my face and doubled over.

"Emily, what's wrong?" Rhonda ran up to me with sheer panic on her face.

"I am really embarrassed but I just started my period and am cramping like you would not believe.  Sorry guys, but I am not drinking.  I'm heading out and just relaxing when I get to my bed and take something for the pain."

I looked over at Bob.  He looked worried but also a tad bit embarrassed and disgusted.  Sorry, but I am not sticking around here and if it means embarrassing him or me or both of us, so be it.  How do I explain this to Mike?  Oh well, deal with it later.

"Okay, well let me walk you to your car, Emily" Bob said.

"No, no.  Just stay here with Rhonda.  I'll email you tomorrow."

"No, I am not letting you walk to your car by yourself, I am walking you out." Bob insisted.  Crap!

We walked out to my rental car where he had his hand on the small of my back.  Ugh, this is not what I wanted.  We got to my car and he gave me a hug and a kiss on my cheek which felt very awkward and inappropriate but I let it go and I quickly got into my car.  I had the strangest feeling of being watched but knew it couldn't be Harry as he was at home with Gemma. 

And just like that I was out of the parking lot and on the freeway heading to Harry's. 

Little did I know what was going to happen due to that stupid lax in judgement.