Kade and Jessie

"Jessie I'm home." Kade announced as he walks into the kitchen where I was finishing up with dinner.

"H-hello Kade, w-welcome home." I reply nervously.

His piercing black eyes take in the scene before him and he growls.

I flinch. I'm in for it now.

"Why isn't dinner ready?" Kade snapped.

"I-I'm sorry. T-the potatoes will only be another m-minute. I promise." I whimpered. I tried to keep my speach short, knowing how much my stutter irritated him.

"It better. I'm going to change, have it done by the time I'm finished." He huffed walking out of the room.

I nodded quickly but he was already turning away from me.

Kade wasn't my true mate but he was the only one willing to take me after my mate died a couple of years ago. He wasn't so bad. Sure after being with him  for two years I was still terrified of him but he never beat me. Just a lot of shouting and sometimes punching things like the wall or table. He still took care of me and that's what I needed, and besides I was scared of everyone.

I pulled the potatoes out just as Kade re-entered the room. He glared down at me as I placed the pan on the counter and began getting plates and silverware.

He staired the entire time not saying a word. I served him then sat down waiting for my turn. I didn't bother wondering what he thought of the food because he was going to tell me the same thing he told me every night.

"This taste like shit." Kade said after a bite.

I hung my head in shame. Every night for the past two years I've tried to make something at least okay to eat but it never worked out. Even I didn't love my own cooking. It was simply edible.

"S-sorry K-Kade." I whispered through my stutter, subconsciously hoping that if I was quiet he wouldn't hear it.

"What ever. What did I tell you about that stutter?" He growled.

I whined softly in reply knowing it was best not to reply verbally when he rounded on me about my speach impediment. He didn't say anything after that, just finished eating and left the table to watch T.V. Quickly I cleaned up his plate and finally sat down to eat my fill.

After I was finished and the kitchen was cleaned I made my way as quietly as possible to the living room not wanting to disturb him. I sat on the floor beside his cushioned chair since it was the only seating in the living room. Kade didn't need much before I came to live with him and after I had to earn my place in his home. Just like every other she-wolf or submissive male on their second mate. Earn his protection. Earn a seat in the living room. All because our mating wasn't goddess given.

With Luis, my true mate, it was easy. Everything he had was mine and he always wanted to give me more. But with Kade I was only in his home to care for him and provide pups while he provided for me and the pups. It was a business deal. At least he waited until I was ready to have pups. Others weren't as lucky.

I understood that. Just like I understood that after two years I still couldn't get a comfy chair of my own due to my horrible cooking skills. Every time I improved on something or learned something I was granted something in return. I had earned my kitchen chair. Had earned the upgrade from a full-sized bed to a king, allowing me to sleep beside him instead of practically on him. I had earned the right to eat the food he works hard to provide.

It was difficult because I wasn't the best at house work or cooking and I cried after every time we had sex. It wasn't that he hurt me I just missed Luis's gentle touch and sweet words so much. Kade looked so much like him after all. Worst of all was my stutter. He said that if I just got rid of it he would gladly give me everything I hadn't yet earned and then some. That's how much he hated hearing me speak. Unless he asked me a direct question sometimes I would go a week without speaking when he was around. I still talked to my mother and sister over the phone when he was at work though.