Glitchy Fire-Alarm

[Now entered in the Wattys, don't forget to vote <3]

Glitchy Fire-Alarm

Michael sat beside Jeremy, wrapping his arm around his shoulder with a smile as the taller boy let out a content sigh. Though considering that Jeremy was slouched against him he was now shorter than Michael. Michael enjoyed vulnerable Jeremy, he felt like he could protect him, and he would, as long as he lived. Michael pressed a kiss to Jeremy's head, that's when the fire alarm went off.

Jeremy let out a groan of protest, holding him tighter.

Michael chuckled fondly, grabbing Jeremy's hand and gently prying it from his side until he was free, then laying him down on the rest of the couch, "It's glitching again, I'll be back soon, I promise." He ruffled Jeremy's hair.

"Fiiine..." Jeremy closed his eyes once again.

Michael started upstairs, trying to find which alarm was going off. He traveled around the house. He first checked in the kitchen, but the sound was faint in there. He decided to grab a Mountain Dew and continued his search. Michael headed down the hallway and poked his head in his Ma's room, nothing, the fire alarm there was quiet. Michael continued down the hall towards his room and the sound was getting fainter. He started back towards the main room and took in an annoyed breath. He then gagged out the breath as smoke filled his lungs. Smoke... Michael shook his head and noticed that faint tint that swarmed around the house. He realized, with horror,, that there was an actual fire. He raced towards the kitchen to check the stove once again, then whipping around and sprinting out to be met with flames, lapping at the entrance of the stairwell. The fire was coming from downstairs. Jeremy was downstairs. Michael coughed and headed for the stairs, he immediately ripped off his hoodie and threw it forward, "Jer!" He coughed once again, running through the patches of stairs that weren't up in flames. He reached the bottom and heard wails of pain. He looked around through stinging eyes, barely able to breath anymore as the poisonous smoke filled his lungs. That's when the shrieking stopped, the same moment he spotted the limp body of Jeremy, scarred with burns as he had attempted to escape...Michael's hoodie under his limp grip. Michael leapt forward to try and get to him. Jeremy was just within his grasp when a beam fell from above and hit his back. Causing him to let out a gasp.

Michael sat up in bed, coughing and gasping for breath. It took him a moment to take in his surroundings. His room. His room that was dark. There were no flames lighting it and the air was fresh. Michael trembled and then noticed the small cries of worry from Jeremy.

"Michael? Are you alright? Mikey-"

Michael turned to Jeremy and fell into his arms sobbing.

"M-Micha what happened!?" Jeremy was still waking up.

Michael held onto Jeremy like his life depended on it, "Y-Y-You d-died and it was m-my f-fault." He buried his face in the chest of Jeremy's sweater.

"Michael you're suffocating me." Jeremy smiled, pulling him into his lap, "That would never happen..." he soothed Michael, slowly rocking him back and forth in his arms, "We'll always be together, okay?"

Michael sniffled and pressed his face deeper into the folds of the sweater, he nodded.

"Just fall asleep, I won't let go, I'm here..."

Michael's breathing started to fall back into its usual pattern.

"...I promise..."