GenderBend AU

[Requested]

Mia was sitting beside Michaela at lunch, both were silent and ignoring the previous day's events.

Mia couldn't help but glance at Michaela, a knowing glance shared in their eyes before looking away. Michael had kissed her...on the lips...the fucking lips...WHOAH. Mia felt her heart beat's pace pick up at a substantial rate, she put her hands under the table to wipe her sweaty palms on her jeans.

In this instant,  Michaela took advantage and placed her hand delicately atop Mia's, not daring one bit to meet her gaze.

Mia's hand clenched into a tight fist almost immediately and Michaela began to draw her hand away, "D-don't!" Mia blurred out, grabbing Michaela's hand.

Michaela's face turned a darker shade of red, she smile nodded and laced her fingers with Mia's, feelings her whole hand tingle with the touch of the other.

They held their hands together until the table, Michaela rubbing her thumb along Mia's hand and humming casually like they weren't both internally screaming.

Mia glanced at the clock if the cafeteria and her heart sink as she saw that lunch ended in a few minutes. A few minutes wasn't long enough. She wouldn't see Mia until after school when they walked home together, that wasn't soon enough. Mia shifted her feet nervously before deciding upon her actions, "Wanna' skip the rest of school and hang out?" She whispered to Michaela.

Michaela's eyes shone bright with pleasure and shock, "Goodie goodie gal is skipping? Such an act of rebellion!" She teased.

"Oh so that a no then?" Mia blinked sadly, though a glint of amusement shone in her eyes.

Michaela was silent for a moment before getting up, "Let's go." She pulled Mia up over the table bench and walked, as quickly as casually allowed, to the front entrance, trying to hold back from absolutely sprinting all the way to Mia's house. However, if that kind of stunt was pulled right now it would definitely draw attention to the two, and Michaela wasn't about to ruin her chances with Mia. So she slowly pulled Mia through the front of the school, eagerly looking towards the corner of the block. His feet itches as he confined himself to a steady pace.

Mia was looking down, her face was flush and she didn't remove her eyes from the sight of her hand in Michaela's hand. So many years of my airing and hoping and a growing of a crush, and then they kissed...and now they're skipping school to do who knows what! Video games, slurpee contest, maybe even cuddles. Mia's face burned a brighter red as she thought about the last part. She'd probably melt before that was possible. A sudden jolt went through her as they escaped the watchful eyes of the school and Michaela instantly because running, dragging Mia along with her. Mia quickly adjusted her pace and squeezes Michaela's hand tighter. Despite their current speed, Mia felt like the whole world was in slow motion. There she was, Michaela, the cutest girl in school, eager to hang out with /her/ and her only... so eager to get to her house and- "I love you." Mia said this without thought and began to regret it when Michaela didn't respond, although she did start to slow down, until she gradually came to a stop, she leaned forward and let out loud pants, catching her breath.

"Jesus Mia! I was having a hard enough one breathing!"

Mia looked at her feet and blushed as her hand was released while Michaela continued to fill her lungs with air, "I-I'm sorry I didn't mean t-"

"Say it again." Michaela took one final deep breath and turned to Mia.

"Wh-what?"

"Please..." Michaela murmured, her face turning beet red, "I want to see you say it and know...that this is real."

Mia felt her heart leap, she opened her mouth to say something but nothing came out, and she felt herself falling, falling and then being caught, being found, she looked up and saw the blurring image of a worried Michaela before darkness overtook her vision.

***

When Mia woke up she felt and saw that she was now in her own bed. Her heart lurched for a moment as she realized it had all been a dream.

Mia let out a small groan and shut her eyes tight, well duh, how would that actually happen? It was so perfect...it figures that it was just but a fantasy. She sighed and buried her face in her covers, breathing in the scent and smiling contently as the fabric of Michael's hoodie pressed against her face, it was almost like she as actually- Michaela's hoodie. Michaela. /Shit/ Mia's eyes shot open and she processed her surroundings. Michaela were in her house...in her bed...and Michaela was snuggling. Oh dear god she'd hit her head hard on the pavement hadn't she? Even while considering that this could be a dream, Mia's heart rate picked up and fluttered up and down, and she couldn't hide a grin as she reached to hug Michaela and press their foreheads together.

Michaela immediately woke up with a small gasp and Mia realized that this indeed was not a dream.

Mia scrambled backwards and nearly fell off the bed, if it hadn't been for Michaela pulling her into another hug. Mia's face radiated heat as Michaela pressed the frail girl to her chest.

Michaela pressed her cheek to Mia's head, "Dear god don't scare me like that." Her voice cracked.

Had Michaela really been worrying that much...? About her...oh this was wonderful. It shouldn't have been...but it definitely was, "I'm okay but I'm suffocating." Mia's squeak was muffled by the hoodie hug.

Michaela released Mia, "S-sorry..."

Mia shook her head, "D-Don't stop hugging me, just, not my face- completely."

Michaela grinned, her face beginning to darker in blush, "Y-yeah." She held Mia closer, rubbing small circle on her back.

"How am I so lucky?" Mia giggled, unable to contain her joy.

"I just want to feel you here beside me, this is real?" Michaela's voice was shaky.

Mia leaned forward and placed a kiss on Michaela's neck before resting her face in the crook of it, "Definitely Real."