Road Trip

Road Trip

For as long as Jeremy could remember, every summer he and his dad would take three weeks to visit his extended family. He absolutely loved it, from the astounding landmarks along the way to vast, open views. He didn't like it that much as a kid, as every day took more or less ten hours of driving and it took four days to get to their destination and his attention span wasn't very long back then. Though he learned to appreciate the drives as the years past and his thoughts became more so in depth. They were currently driving along the edge of a drop-off in Colorado, where stream ran down below. Everything was covered in luscious life. Colorado had always been Jeremy's favorite part of the entire trip. If he pressed his face to the window he could just barely see the peak of the towering mountains. Every now and then you might catch a glimpse of a mountain goat just a bit far off the main road. There were more gray squirrels to see, though.

Often times Jeremy would find himself sketching the terrain of this astounding portion from just outside his window, expressing his adoration to the land. However, the only thing that crowded his sketch book this year were little doodles of red hoodies and white headphones. Cute scrunched up faces with glasses that made out the face of Michael. Jeremy felt his heart rate increase just by looking into the eyes of his pictures. What was this boy doing to him? These road-trips were one of his favorite activities of the whole year, he would have traded a million of these experiences just to see Michael, to hold and to have Michael, for an instant. He felt hopeful though as they were currently driving back towards New Jersey. It had been three weeks since he had last seen Michael in person and it was killing him. He had been in relations ships before, being away from that person while on these trips, but never before had it hurt this much to be away from someone as it had to be away from Michael. It was as if Michael was a piece of him that he had left behind and the farther he got the longer the stretch to hold on was, and the longer the stretch, the longer the wait, the longer the pain. He had tried countless times to text him but there had been no reply, he figured Michael had most likely gotten his phone taken away for something silly, like not doing his chores- which he often didn't. But, Jeremy being Jeremy, he had nagging fears at the back of his mind. What if Michael had gotten hurt and was in the hospital- unable to text him? What if he had disappeared and nobody could find him- and he couldn't help because he was all the way in Colorado while the spam texts and calls he'd been getting was really Michael trying to contact him! Or what if...what if he wasn't into him anymore...? This was Jeremy's biggest fear. What if Michael had forgotten what it was like to be in a relationship with Jeremy, and what if his feelings were dwindling and he no longer wanted to text him anymore? What if there was another guy that he'd met while Jeremy was gone and he was keeping him a secret!?

Jeremy started to tremble, his breaths coming out quick and thin. He closed his eyes and tried to comfort himself, but the only thing that comforted him was the loving look that Michael had always given him whenever he came over. The feeling of running his finger's through his puffed up hair and the sound of his laugh. While it brought pain, it was less than the previous pain of doubt, and he held onto these memories. Trying to talk sense into himself. Michael had loved him for years...he'd kissed him...he waited for years...three weeks was nothing. Jeremy nodded confidently.

He almost leapt out of his own skin when his phone buzzed, he picked it up to see a message from 'Player-1[Heart-Emoji]' Jeremy felt his heart crash into his stomach as he pressed his thumb to his home-screen button to unlock his phone, reading over the text.

P-1: 'Sorry...I lost my phone and it ran out of charge so I couldn't call it to find it. I've been dying not being able to text you, how's the trip? Miss you <3'

A wide smile crept over Jeremy's face as he responded.

P-2: "Terrible."

P-1: "Why so :( I thought you loved these kinds of things?"

P-2: "How can anything be good if you aren't here? <3"

P-1: "<blush-smile-emoji> You're the best"

P-2: "I know <3"

Jeremy looked up from his phone. Glad to have Michael with him.