|5|

Amazing cover crafted by xSugarLilyx thank you so much lovely! The quote is just spot on

❄️

~Year 2066-Night of the Winter Solstice-

"Didn't I make it clear you needed to leave?" It shocks me when I see Vivica walk down the staircase leading up to the second level of Walter's castle. The rest of my coven left about an hour ago, the sun having fallen far down from the horizon.

She merely finishes wrapping the leather cuff around her wrist, her eyes flickering up to meet with mine when she takes the final step down onto the bottom landing. Vivica sighs lightly as she lowers her arms and states, "You're a fearless and protective coven leader, Cormac however, who protects you?"

"Vivica...your daughter-"

"-will be happy to see me the second we return to your estate," her eyes flash with intensity before she nods, "let's get through this night."

There's no further point in trying to reason with her, she's made her choice. Instead, we both turn our attention to the hallway leading to the ballroom. When we reach the large room, I notice the rest of the council is already in deep thought, their coven members mingling and waiting to serve those they follow. After I set foot inside, Walter catches my gaze and flags me over but what I find disturbing and makes me stop dead in my tracks is lingering in the corner of the ballroom.

Vivica stares at me in confusion, some of the other council members glancing to what I'm staring at. Delaney stands next to a small glass container, what I can only assume is fallen stars resting with a full glow in the transparent holder. Although...she holds one of the stars flat in her hand, her eyes transfixed into space as his dark figure stands before her.

Tresor stands before Delaney, one of his hands touching the top of the fallen star, her gaze straight ahead and appearing void and vacant. The back of his other hand briefly brushes his knuckles against her cheek, murmuring something beneath his breath.

"Cormac?" Vivica urges and I glance away to bring my gaze to hers. I search her features and something settles into the pit of my stomach that makes me ill.

"You...you don't see him?" I question her, wondering now how much my mind is breaking to the point of insanity because...

...everyone is staring at Delaney and giving me looks of complete confusion.

Vivica's eyes trail to Delaney before she whispers, "Delaney is finishing the last of the new preparations that Arthur and Walter are aware of."

My heart beats loud and fast in my chest, Tresor lowering his hand from Delaney's cheek while his other no longer touches the fallen star. His amethyst eyes immediately snap and lock onto me, Delaney walking away from him and moving to the table as she goes about her business.