|74|

❄️

~Year 2091-Winter-

Rose is quick to oversee those either leaving the castle for the vampires and werewolves while the once human slaves will remain until they are able to either get in contact with family or find a place they'll be able to stay. Aohdan and Rochelle leave as I'm slightly taken aback when Kev walks forward just as Rose passes him by. Dante and I tense when we go to move and follow her, though she says, "No."

Before Kev can more forward, Delaney is the one to breathe out carefully and approach me. She tilts her head to the side and tells me, "There's much I want to explain to you...now that I'm able to..."

Nodding, I see Dante shift slightly as she approaches me and says, "Taft broke our bond long before Mercury..." her voice trails off, the hurt in it lingering as her son remains with the coven at the moment, "...I often wonder why...remaining by his side. There was much he threatened to do to me if I ever said anything, showing our fake love for the rest of the world," when she pauses a moment, everything that I observed begins to fall into place, "...he cheated on me time and time again...the embarrassment and hurt I felt...I was just too afraid of what the council might do...what Taft might do if it was made known he'd done the one thing a vampire never does."

"It's okay...it's over now," tears are in her eyes when I pull her into a warm embrace, feeling her shoulders heave up and down.

"I wanted to tell you...more than anyone else because you were there for me when I didn't have to say anything," she whispers into my ear, "at a point in time...I would have gladly had you end my son's life, because when he was born...he was everything that represented Taft and our fake bond."

"What changed?" I asked, not understanding the bond between parents and their children.

Delaney moves away from me, pulling back before saying, "I fell in love..."

Shaking my head a smile plays on my lips. Mercury is what kept her going.

Delaney nods at me and says, "Thank you...for saving his life."

"You're welcome," I watch as she leaves, catching sight of Kev as he watches Delaney leave as well.

Kev excitedly introduces Missy and says, "This is the real Cormac Arin," she's quite embarrassed, her cheeks flushing red as she tries to hide her face. I glance over their heads as Rose leaves the ballroom doors, my heart stricken with the pain she feels even though she keeps me out, wanting to shoulder her burden for herself.

"I...I'm sorry for..." Kev is sweet to wrap an arm around Missy as she still finds it hard to speak with courage, though she does manage to say, "...I'm sorry for the way I treated Rose."

"It's in the past," I nod and she buries her face in Kev's side. Furrowing my brows I ask Kev, "What's this about?" Motioning to her.

Kev has a wide grin on his face and states, "I've chosen her as my beloved!"

When I glance at Dante for confirmation, he nods and shakes his head as if Kev's lost his mind. It never once occurred to me...is it possible that Kev has a soulmate beloved even though he was technically killed?

"Kev...can you," I nod in the direction of the doors, wanting to speak with Dante as Rose is out of sight, wanting to be alone. She can't do this alone...

Kev is quick to state, "Oh, yes! Of course," he squeezes Missy's waist and she brings her face from his side. They smile at one another and I am genuinely happy for Kev, he deserves someone who makes him feel loved and Missy truly does, I see that in her eyes.