|77|

❄️

~Year 2091-Winter-

Dante and I stand next to Rose while Niles comes back with the blood sample he'd taken from her. It's not that long before he returns, sitting down across from Rose before he confirms, "Your mates are right...you're pregnant, Rose."

"You can't be serious..." her voice trails off in disbelief.

I release a sigh of relief, something warming my heart at the though she was okay and that her being pregnant is what caused her inability to heal as normal. Dante can't help but shake his head and chuckle, "We knew it."

Rose's eyes widen as she glances at both of us in bewilderment as she asks, "How could the two of you have possibly known I was pregnant?!"

My hand touches the top of her shoulder and she looks up to meet my gaze. I gently state, "You weren't healing the way you should."

"I thought..."

Dante arches a brow and asks, "That Lars had done something to you?"

My eyes darken at his name and I interject, "Who's to say he hasn't," I pauses a moment and shake my head, "you can't trust witches..."

"You hardly even knew they existed until just a few weeks ago," Dante crosses his arms in front of his chest and locks stares with me. He then notes, "I'd be just as suspicious as he was considering what's happened with the council and shedding light on the skeletons in the closet."

"I already knew they existed," my touch leaves Rose's shoulder as I walk away from the both of them. Rose stands from her chair, turning to watch as I attempt to calm down near the far wall.

Dante murmurs beneath his breath, "Looks like more skeletons are surfacing," before he sighs and turns to Niles before asking, "is there anything we should be wary about with this pregnancy?"

Niles stands from the chair he sits in, walking toward one of the machines before turning on a switch. He adjusts a few knobs here and there, glancing over his shoulder before he says, "Due to the ectopic pregnancy, Rose should be monitored just in case however," his voice trails off as he motions for Rose to come forward. As she walks silently toward him and the reclined chair he states, "Now that you're a fully awakened hybrid and have bonded with Dante, I'm not entirely sure if any prior problems will arise this time around," he nods at the chair and she sits back into it, "it's better safe to check then be sorry later."

"Go ahead and lift your shirt up to just below your breasts," Niles instructs her and as she grasps the hem of her shirt, he squirts jelly liquid on the end of a wand connected to the machine. The screen faces him, Dante standing on the other side of Rose while I remain away. Niles touches the wand against her abdomen, rolling it over as a quick sweep before he begins to apply pressure in certain areas.

Niles leans in closer to the screen and moves the wand slowly, tilting his head to the side as he says, "That's odd..."

What...

My gaze quickly falls away from staring off while I lock with Dante's. He holds the same apprehension I do as the last time Rose was pregnant...

She quickly glances at Dante while I begin to walk toward the chair, coming closer to her until I stand alongside of Dante. Dante's gaze flickers back to Niles before he asks all our unspoken questions and fears, "What's odd, Niles?"

Rose releases a shaky breath and my eyes capture hers. Her hand works its way into mine, my own grasping hers as I squeeze it tightly. There's a few more seconds of silence, only the shifting features of Niles' face offers us no comfort, keeping us in suspense until he finally runs his free hand through his hair.