A Satin Ribbon

Description: Draco Malfoy, a renowned British fashion designer who lives in California and is the founder of Satin Stains, a famous non-gender specific clothing line, is given a choice that may impact both his life and career forever.

Warnings: none! this one's all fluff and agave

Song: Beautiful Now by Zedd and Jon Bellion

Notes: credit to myidiosyncrasy for the great idea!

Length: 2.1k words

______________

Draco's POV

My breath fogs up the cool morning air, making a cloud of warmth around my nose that smells like sweet coffee and honey. The sun barely breaks through the silver clouds, the fiery orange and silk pink threading through the gray, making the mountains look like a pastel painting. I shove my hands in my pockets. Despite it being quite early - or late, depending on who you're talking to - the city ahead is illuminated by jewel toned lights, gorgeous as the sky.

I place my coffee down on the ground as I fiddle with the key to my apartment. As I touch the cold metal of my door, I shiver, involuntarily curling in on myself. As a person from Britain, technically I should be used to the cold. However, after spending too much of my life in Los Angeles, I've become used to the delicious heat that the state is known for.

As I slip into the lobby, I let out a small sigh of relief as warmth encompasses me.

"Out late again, Malfoy?" The woman sitting at the front counter raises her gaze, her hazel eyes burning like a brand. "Was it the club this time, or a guy's bedroom?"

I grit my teeth, my irritation simmering. "None of your business, Parkinson."

Though, truly, the answer should be obvious due to the pieces of cloth stuck to my too thin coat, and the satchel in my hand that is overflowing with satin.

She snorts and stands, making her way over to me. "Don't worry, I'm not attacking you. Come on -- I'll help with your bag. And perhaps you should go and get the coffee you left outside."

=====

The next morning, I clench my teeth as I tie my overlong hair up with a green satin ribbon, my lips curling as the bow falls flat. I jump as the phone rings beside me.

"Hello?"

"Is this Mr. Malfoy?"

"Yes, it is. What may I help you with?"

"I'm afraid that Violet Industries has reconsidered your offer, and we regret to say that Mr. Zabini has found it unfair to our company. Good day."

My blood goes cold as the woman hangs up the phone, her soft voice ringing in my ears. My God, why would Blaise ever do that? Ever since my fame regarding clothing had flourished, Blaise has been a constant presence by my side, my childhood friend helping me expand my brand. He even went as far to consider selling and producing my clothes at his company - Violet Industries - but apparently, he is no longer interested in me.

My hands shaking, I quickly dial his number, letting out a silent sigh of relief as he picks up.

"Is that you, Draco?"

"Yes. Why did you let go of my brand?" My voice is thick with unshed tears.

For a moment, his silence is defining. "Draco, darling..."

"What?"

"I lost the company to Vincent and Gregory weeks ago."

My breath catches. "What?"