Twenty-seven

Flashback

"No mama," Maja said as she looked down at her beautiful little girl. "He's your father, Mj." She scoffed. "Some father," Maja mumbled. "How would you feel if it were Sami and Dimitri? He was trying to make an effort and she just pushed him away." Maja stared down at her daughter before a sigh left her lips. "Fine, I'll go." Jaqueline smiled and kissed her daughter's forehead. "I know I push for you to spend time with your father a lot. I just want you to have the relationship I had with my dad." Maja looked at her mother. "I understand that but I'm his child. I shouldn't be the only one trying, but please believe me this is my last time." Maja said standing up heading to her room to put Samiya to sleep.

Maja had spent the past 2 weeks with her father and she couldn't believe that she was enjoying his company. She was heading to her father's office when his secretary called her over. "Hello Maja, your father is expecting you, so head on back." Maja smiled and thanked her before heading to his office. She knocked on the door and waited until she heard him say come in.

"Maja, I'm glad you could make it." Her father got up and hugged her. Maja still wasn't used to him hugging her but she enjoyed it nonetheless. Maja looked to her left to see Dimitri's father, Mr. Joseph. Her body went ridged. She had disliked him ever since Dimitri introduced them. There was something about him that made Maja feel unnerved around him and that still hadn't changed. "Maja, you know Mr. Joseph." She looked his way as he stood up and came towards her.

"It's nice to see you again, Maja." He said holding his hand out. "You as well Mr. Joseph." "Richard. We're family now." He said smiling down at her. She bit her tongue because her mama raised her to show respect to her elders and Mr. Joseph was no exception, no matter how much he creeped her out. She gave him a curt nod before turning to her father. "You wanted to talk to me?" She asked raising an eyebrow at her father.

Keenan looked at Richard who had been eyeing his daughter since she came in. "Maja, Richard and I need to talk to you about some." She looked between the two of them before taking a seat. "Go ahead." She said. "As you know Richard is the Governor." Maja nodded her head. "He has an opening for the lieutenant governor position." Maja looked from her father to Richard trying to see what this had to do with her. "Well, that's a good thing right. You'll be getting the job then?" She asked. "Well, that depends on several things," Richard said. "Which are?" "You." Maja looked at him confused. "Me?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Well the process to become lieutenant governor can be difficult, but with a little... help from me it doesn't have to be." She looked from him to her father. "Still not hearing what this has to do with me." She said. "Sweetheart Richard said he'll give me the job on one condition." "Go on." Keenan grabbed his daughter's hands. "He wants you." She looked from her father to Richard before snatching her hands away. "Excuse me!!" Maja yelled as she stood up. "Lower your voice Maja." Her father snapped at her. "No, I won't." She said. She shook her head. "I should have known. You were only being nice to get something from me." She said to herself as the door opened. "Maja, please. This will help not only me but you as well." Keenan said. She scoffed looking at her father. "Fuck you."

She looked over at her daughter's grandfathers in disgust. "Maja just hear me out," Keenan said. Her eyes narrowed as she looked at him. "No." She said grabbing her purse and heading for the door. Richard grabbed her arm stopping her. They looked at each other staring one another down.

"I suggest you reconsider the offer." "And I suggest you take your hand off of me." She said boldly snatching her out of his grip. "Think about your daughter. How will it be for her to grow up without a father? Possibly a mother" He said as if he didn't just threaten his son, his granddaughter, and me. "What is that supposed to mean? Are you threatening me?" I paused. "And my daughter." She said in a deadly tone. "Take it how you want. All I'm saying is if you don't consider the offer things will get very bad very quickly." Her eyes narrowed. "You would threaten your own son and granddaughter." He let out a sigh. "That all depends on you." She looked from him to her father. Keenan couldn't look at his daughter he knew he shouldn't be asking his 18-year-old daughter to do this, but he needs her help. She looked at her father in disgust before turning back to Richard. "So?" Richard asked. "What do you want from?" Maja asked clenched her jaw so tight it was starting to hurt.