Seventy-five

Angelo

I was at Reggie's place sitting in the living room with all the guys. "Yo G, you good?" J.J. asked. I shook my head. "I'm going back to work in a couple of days and I'm dreading it," I said throwing my head back. "Been off work too long, you just gotta get back into the routine," Reggie said. I shook my head. "No, it's not that. I don't want to work in the corporate world. I never have." I said. "And after the year I've had I'm not doing anything that I don't love," I said. "You talked to Maj  about how you're feeling?" Omar asked. I shook my head. "She so excited about the babies and we're looking for a new place. Not to mention she's ready to go back to work too. We've been busy." I explained.

"If you don't like what you do it'll start to drain you and you'll grow resentful," Haseem said. "To be on the safe side I'd work with your cousin a little while longer just so you have enough money in the bank before switching careers," Rocky said as the guys nodded their heads in agreement. "And I would definitely talk to Maja about it." I nodded my head. "So Haseem what's been going on with you?" I asked. "Well—" He paused. "Rodrick and I are moving in together." He shrugged. "Damn and you weren't going to say anything?" Rocky questioned. "Well, it's like Angelo said we've all been busy. This is the first time in a minute we've all just kicked, just us guys." Haseem said. Which was true. It had been a wild year for all of us. "Anybody else got anything they want to share?" Haseem asked.

I looked over at Rocky. He took a huge gulp of his drink. "Rocky?" I called causing the rest of our friends to look at him. He sighed. "I'm seeing someone." He said. "Shut the fuck up," Omar said dramatically. "Hell has frozen over," Reggie said wide eye. "Are you feeling okay? How many fingers am I holding up.?" J.J. asked. "Blink twice if you're being forced to say this," I told him. "I hate y'all." He said shaking his head as we all laughed. "Well, who is she?" J.J. asked. "Well, it is a she, right?" Reggie asked. "Yes," Rocky said nodding his head. "Just asking. Don't want to assume anything." Reggie shrugged.

"Well, we've been seeing each other for like 8 almost 9 months now. She's sweet and she matches my sense of humor. I really like her." He said.

I looked at him surprised but happy for him none the less. "What's the problem then?" Haseem asked. He sighed glancing from Reggie, J.J. and me. "She's the girl's stepsister." He said. "And she wants to get to know y'all." We all sat quietly. "Well—" Reggie said. "Well Maja's pregnant so she can't really do anything so that's good." I shrugged. "I'll talk to her," I added. "Nadia will be fine," J.J. said. "Well not fine but she won't do anything crazy. She's in mommy mode right now." J.J. explained. "Arnell might run off at the mouth, but I'll keep her under control," Reggie said.

"This is going to be a shit show," Omar said before we all started laughing.

Maja

"What?" Damon asked. "I love working for you but I want to move to the editorial department. I need to be able to use my creative side or I will go crazy. Plus I can't work for Angelo and then go home with him. I need to have some type of identity apart from being Angelo's wife." I explained. He sighed. "If you're sure. We can do this on a trial basis and if you don't like it you can come and be my assistant." Damon suggested. I smiled. "Perfect. I re—" "But you have to tell Angelo." He said. "I can do that," I said as my voice rose.

"You sure you sound nervous." He chuckled as I sighed. "He already doesn't want me working let alone working where he can't keep an eye on me," I said rolling my eyes. "Just explain it how you did with me. He'll get it." Damon said. I nodded my head.

--

"So, I've spoken to the judge who is in charge of your custody case with Demery." My uncle's colleague, Nigel Lawrence said. I nodded my head as I rubbed my belly to calm my nerves. "With the recommendation from his current foster parents, Andre, and having spoken to Demery herself. She has agreed to give you custody on a three-month trial and if everything checks out you and your son will be reunited permanently." Nigel explained smiling. "My husband and I have been talking about him legally adopting him once all of this is in order," I said. Nigel's smile grew. "The judge will definitely love to hear that. I'll make a note of that in your file but as of right now you have your son. Just keep being an amazing mom." Nigel said hugging me. I let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you," I said.