Forty-nine

Maja

I was looking at some of the text I got.

Nell, Nay: We have something to tell you

I raised an eyebrow.

Me: What??

As soon as the text sent my phone started ringing. I looked to see it was Sami's school calling. "Hello," I said. "Is this Mrs. Lewis?" The woman asked. "Yes, this is she," I said. "Hello, this is Mrs. Ronald." The principle. I had never gotten a call from Sami's principle. "Did something to Samiya? Is she okay?" I asked as I struggled to sit up. "Actually I was calling because she never made it to school." She said. "What are you talking about her father dropped her off this morning," I said worriedly. "Well, when Samiya's teacher took roll she wasn't there and seeing as how she rarely misses school I was worried." Mrs. Ronald said.

"She must be sick. I'll call her father and see, but thank you for letting me know." I said. "Of course Samiya is a wonderful student so I just wanted to make sure everything was okay." We said our goodbyes before I hung up. I dialed up Dimitri and waited while it rang. "What's wrong? Everything okay?" Dimitri asked worriedly. "Sami's principal called me and said she wasn't at school. Where is she?" I asked worry evident in my voice. "She's with me." He said plainly. "Why isn't she at school?" I asked.

"I was taking her to school when she started crying about not being a big sister." He said which broke my heart. "I told her that Eva was called back to the baby headquarters like on Boss Baby." I chuckled. "It was the only thing I could think of to put a little at ease." He said. "No it's cute and very kid friendly," I told him truthfully. "Well, I didn't think she should go to school cause her face was all red and puffy so I just let her spend the day with me." He explained. "That's sweet," I said with a small smile. "But next time could you let me know. I was worried." I said. "My fault  I forgot." He said.

"Maja I need to talk to you about something but I think it would be better in person." He said. My nerves were bad and the fact that everybody needs to tell me something wasn't helping. "You, Nadia, and Arnell are all making my nerves even worse. I paused. "Can you just tell me now?" I asked. "Hold on." He said. Before I knew it I was getting a facetime call from Dimitri. "I've been seeing this girl for a while and out of respect for you being one of my best friends and the mother of a kid I haven't introduced her to Sami. But with Sami being at the shop they did meet each other." I raised an eyebrow.

"I mean I only introduced her as a coworker and friend but I want you to meet her before we do anything. When you're feeling better of course." I chuckled as I looked at how nervous he was. "You can introduce us this weekend if you want," I said. "Really are you sure?" He asked. "Yeah it's fine," I said. "Good I'll let her know. I almost forgot I told Sami that before Eva "had to go" she left her something. So I was thinking I could get her bracelet or necklace with her name on it if that's okay?" My eyes watered but I nodded my head. "That is perfectly fine," I said as my voice wavered.

~

I was sitting in the living as everybody sat around talking. Angelo came in and immediately came and sat by me draping his arm around me. "Hey, babe," I said sweetly. He smiled and kissed my cheek "So what did you two have to tell me?" I asked my sisters. Arnell and Nadia looked at each other before looking at me. Arnell grabbed Reggie's hand interlocking their fingers before looking at me. "I guess we'll go first," Nell said. "We're dating. We've been dating for a while now." She said. "is that all? Girl, we all knew that." I said. "What?" They both said. "Well, you two are always sneaking off together. Not mention that you are always stealing glances at each other as nobody can see you." I said.

"Damn detective Maja you couldn't have just said you're happy for us," Arnell said. "Wow, I'm so happy for both of you. That's amazing." I said with a goofy smile. "What about you?" I asked looking at Nadia as she clung to J.J. "Well..." She paused. "I'm pregnant," Nadia said looking at me uneasily. I could tell they were both worried that I wouldn't be able to handle them being pregnant. Honestly, I was okay with it, I was overjoyed that I was going to have a niece or nephew. "What?" Angelo barked out. "We know this is terrible timing but we..." Angelo got up. "Angelo!" I yelled as he made his way down the hall before the door slammed shut. "Well, someone help me up," I said. Rocky and Omar came and helped me stand before I limped over to the door. I walked outside to see him sitting on the steps.

"Angelo, what was that?" I asked. He looked up at me and stood. "You need to get off your leg." He said. "Well let's go inside then," I said. "No." He said turning to head over to his car. "Angelo!" I snapped. "Don't make me chase after you with a broken leg," I said as I struggled to get down the steps. He stopped and came back and helped me down before he scooped me up and carried me to his car. "Talk to me," I said once he got in. "I know they didn't get pregnant to be spiteful or whatever but..." He paused. "It fucking hurts. You're supposed to be pregnant right now with our baby." He said as his voice broke.

"I know they weren't trying to throw it in my face but my chest feels like it was ripped out. I don't want to rain on their pregnancy but I don't think I can be around them not right now at least." He said finally looking at me with tears running down his face. I pulled him into my arms and let him cry. "Why don't you just come inside and we'll go to sleep, okay?" I asked as I massaged his head. "I can't go back in there. Why don't you come spend the night with me?" He asked. "I'd have to go in and pack a bag," I said looking at my leg. "What for when half of your clothes are already at my place?" He asked looking at me with a slight smile.

"Funny," I said. "But I meant my medical stuff," I said looking at him. He looked exhausted and it was clear that he hadn't been sleeping. He had been staying at his place for the past week or so to get his work together and you could see the wear on his face. "Have you been sleeping?" I asked. He looked at me but didn't say anything. "I'll have Arnell bring my bag," I said texting her.

~

We were at Angelo's place. Angelo had fallen asleep with his head on my chest. I moved slightly only to see him tense up before his grip around me tightened. I brushed his hair back and he slowly began to relax.

"I love you, Maja." Angelo said. "I honestly don't know what I would do without you." He said leaning up to kiss me. "Let's hope you never have to find out." I said.

Christoph

I looked at the white substance that sat on the coffee table. I began to cut it up before I sniffed the first two lines. I was sitting in my father's study debating what I should do about Maja. "First you need to see if Samiya is your kid." I looked to my left to see my father sitting there. For a while, I had been seeing my father usually when I'm thinking about Maja. "How do I do that?" I ask. "You still have Dimitri's house?" He asked. "He has at work, make a visit." He said.

I rubbed my chin. "I could grab her brush or something and get one of your guys to run the DNA test," I said. "Exactly." He said. I stood grabbing my keys and headed outside to my car.

Follow. Like. Comment. Share.