News

You and your husband sat outside of a small restaurant looking at the menu despite visiting the restaurant at least once a month. Your nerves had been very high lately and so had Bucky's. You had a wonderful marriage, and it had nothing to do with your marriage.

It had to do with your son, Grant Fletcher Barnes. He was a sweet boy, and Bucky and you did everything you could to raise your son to be a kind hearted gentlemen. He indeed was a gentlemen and a mini Bucky in appearance, but he had more things in common with you personality wise. He did share some things in common with Bucky too. He was smart and precious.

He also was your baby. He was the only child you and Bucky ever had, but now you and Bucky only had each other and your Golden Retriever that Grant named Woof. That's what was so difficult for you and Bucky. Grant was drafted into the Vietnam War.

He'd been gone for three years now, and he left at eighteen. He was now twenty, at least you assumed he would be twenty, but you didn't know if your baby was alive or dead.

It was so heartbreaking to let Grant get on that bus. You remembered how you told him to be your brave boy as you kissed his tears away. Bucky and you both held each other tight as you watched the bus get smaller and smaller. When Bucky left, it was so similar. The only difference was that while being sad, you were mad that Bucky was leaving you alone since he signed up. Grant unlike your husband was forced to enter a war. Grant never liked war or fighting, and he took after you using knowledgeable words (no bad words) as a weapon instead of his fists.

The first few months had been especially hard on you and Bucky, but you both comforted and supported each other. It was especially hard since you didn't receive any letters, but going through it once already, you knew it was because soldiers weren't allowed to send letters.

Bucky squeezed your hand after the waiter took you menus. "I'll be right back. I just need to go powder my nose."

"Okay darlin." He smiled softly as you kissed the top of his head.

While you were gone, the waiter came up to Bucky asking if you both needed anything, and he asked for a newspaper, since he knew they offered them up front. Once the waiter returned, Bucky paid and thanked them. Then he began to read, and his eyes went wide.

When you returned, you could tell Bucky was about to tell you something. You sat down and waited for him to say something.

"Doll... look at this." He smiled turning the newspaper to face you.

The title read: War Over! Then you noticed it said that the troops would be returning soon. You looked up to Bucky, and your eyes were already glossy. You couldn't help but get up and sit beside Bucky, and you both shared a warm hug. Bucky rubbed your back kissing your cheek.

After that day, Bucky and you would always go to the train depot and bus station to see if Grant was with that shipment of troops. You both remained hopeful.

It had almost been two weeks, and you and Bucky both headed to the bus station like always. Bucky held your hand as you both waited patiently. Today there had been a whole lot of soldiers exit out of buses. It was crowded in the station, but you both stayed in the same place.

"Ma. Dad." Your eyes went wide. That was the voice of your baby. You then saw him, and you and Bucky ran to him giving him a hug.

"Grant, you're back." You pulled away placing your hand on his cheek that had a little stubble, "I knew you'd come back, my brave boy." You then kissed his cheek.

"I was brave ma just like you told me." Grant smiled as happy tears streamed down his face.

"Let's get you home." Bucky smiled patting Grant's back.

Bucky had wrapped his arm around Grant's shoulder, and you held Grant's hand. You knew your son probably didn't want to talk about the war, so you talked about all the things you and Bucky had done, such as renovating your house.

When you got home, Grant went to his room to freshen up. During that time, you began to cook a nice meal.  Bucky put on Sinatra, and you danced with him while you waited for the food to finish cooking through.

Grant came back fresh and clean shaven. He helped you put everything on the table as Bucky got the plates and utensils.

You all sat down together, and you all were finally together again.