The Future

Everything had been miserable for the young Rogers. She lost her family. She lost her father at an early age. Then her mother, and finally her brother.

Each time the funeral was small except for Steve's. There never was many family members to begin with. When Steve died, the major funeral was filmed on television. She didn't want it, but since he was a symbol for America, she didn't have much a choice. The army men folded a flag for her and gave her their sincerest apologies, but it didn't matter. She just wanted Steve back.

Y/n had arranged for a private funeral where a tombstone would be placed for Steve alongside their parents even though his body was never found. At the funeral, y/n met the lady Steve would write to her about. She could tell they both loved each other dearly, and it took them both a long time to move on.

Then one day Steve showed up. It didn't make sense. It was certain that he was gone. The strangest thing was that he wouldn't explain anything, and he didn't want too many people to know.

Everything had gotten better. At least it did for Steve and Peggy. It didn't seem much better for the younger Rogers. They noticed how often y/n's moods would change at the drop of a hat.

Eventually Steve and Peggy asked for y/n to be Peggy's maid of honor. She said she'd be glad to, but it didn't put a smile on her face.

Everyone watched Steve and Peggy's first dance as a married couple, and when they finished, Steve went to find his sister.

After a long search, he found her on the balcony looking out on the night sky. Steve placed a hand on her shoulder, and she turned to him. He knew she had to be upset about something, but he couldn't understand.

"I'm fine Steve. I'm just happy for you both."

"Well then could I ask you to dance with me?"

She slowly nodded taking his hand in hers as he lead her to the dance floor. She barely looked at him, and Steve grew more concerned.

"Y/n... Can I ask you something."

"I told you Steve, I'm fine. Please let's just celebrate your marriage."

He noticed she constantly looked at the necklace that hung on her neck. He wanted to ask what was strung to it, but he knew she probably wouldn't tell him.

The song ended, and she tried to smile. She placed a kiss on his cheek and ran into the crowd. Steve tried to follow her, but after he made it through the crowd it was like she vanished.

Steve finally remembered the little garden he saw when y/n, Peggy, and he looked at the venue. He found her sitting on a bench and now the necklace was in her hands. The little item that hung on it was a locket.

"Y/n..."

She turned around and stood up. She tried to run away, but Steve grabbed her arm. She was so shocked that she dropped the necklace.

Before she could grab it herself Steve had already picked up the necklace.

"Steve... Please... Give it back."

He looked to see her struggling to not let tears fall down her face.

"I don't like seeing you so upset y/n. I want the best for you. I wish you would talk to me, but... I respect your wishes."

He handed it back to her, and she put it back around her neck letting the locket be concealed by the cover of her dress.

"It's pretty. When did you get it?"

She didn't answer. She tried to walk away again.

"Please tell me y/n."

She stopped and turned back. She walked to him and began to take off the necklace.