Thirteen

Eastside Learning Academy High School
Tuesday
2:15 p.m

"Are y'all sure y'all got the play down?" King questioned the boys as he tapped his black Jordan twelves against the bleachers.

Simultaneously the boys agreed as they all placed their helmets on. King decided to get a little practice in before the smaller kids came. The homecoming for Eastside Learning Academy was next week and although King was the assistant coach. He still wanted to have the boys fully prepared for a win.

The school was counting on them and so were King and Wayne.

"Call a run then." Wayne suggested slapping King arm. King gave him a side eye before blowing his whistle.

On command the boy raced on onto the field and assumed their position. The boys ended up executing the play well and pleased King. Currently they were all sitting down in the bleachers relaxing waiting for the younger kids.

"Richest n****  in my city that's a big fact. And we don't do them little planes we on the big jet. My dawg still moving that caine, and he ain't quit yet. I had to tell him when came don't bring no bricks back." King rapped as he repositioned his AirPods in his ear. They were a gift to him from Ash, celebrating his business moves.

"Wassup coach?" Ty asked nodding his head upward

"Wassup Ty." King responded unplugging one of his ear.

"You mind if I talk to you for a sec?" Ty wondered not wanting to feel like a burden to the man.

"Yeah." King answered unplugging his other ear so the kid could have his full attention. "I'm all ears." King said signaling the boy to start.

"So you know the homecoming dance is next Wednesday." Ty mentioned pointing at King.

Shaking his head up and down Ty continued once he had King's agreement. "Alright so I wanna' ask this girl in my third hour to the dance, but I'm high key kinda scared she's gonna' turn me down."

"Wait you high key?" King jokes laughing at the kid.

"Yes coach! Ain't no low key with her." Ty said going in on the joke.

"Have y'all ever talked before?" King asked resting his head in his hand.

Ty eyes roamed back and forth for a second. "No."

Scratching his head King didn't want to tell the kid he was screwed but things were worth the try. Melanie and him didn't have the best start. In fact they were two complete strangers that never knew the other exist. Although the other one may have wished that there was no existence of the other.

"Okay then." King started chuckling a bit. "This may sound stupid but this is what I would do. First, make small talk with her. Like ask her if she has a pencil you could borrow or did she copy down last weeks notes. Any form of communication. From there you'll build a foundation with her at least. Then when Monday or Tuesday come around you come to her nice and not aggressive. And ask her to the dance."

"No disrespect coach but after all that you want me to just straight up ask her to the dance." Ty queried squishing his eyebrows together. "Couldn't I have did that in the beginning?"

"No because then your high key would have turned into a hell no. You would be a complete stranger coming to ask her out. Whereas if you make small conversation at least she has some reference to you. And don't just go ask her. You gotta' be smooth with it." King explained.

"How smooth?"

"What you mean h- Never mind just take this for an example." King said sitting up from his slouched position earlier. "I'll be you and you be the girl."