Forty-Two

"I'm trying to see what could Drémon possibly want?" Mariah asked herself as she continued to eat her breakfast sandwich. Earlier before Melanie had called she had stopped at McDonald's normally to get a caramel frappé. But for some reason she was really craving a McGriddle.

"You and me wondering the same thing." Melanie agreed as her foot tapped against the small rocks. She had been standing in the parking lot for at least five minutes now and surprisingly the summer heat had yet to get to her.

"Girl he does the same thing he use to do eight years ago. Break your heart and then come right back. And sadly you take him back every time." She admitted knowing she was hitting a touchy subject with Mel.

"Now you lying." Melanie defended herself. "I dropped that boy way when we were sophomores in high school. And you know that."

"And yeah that's true. Honestly I thought you were never going to get over him but you did. But I'm saying Mel don't try to let him in cause I'm pretty sure he already tried." Mariah reminded her shaking her head as if Melanie could see her.

Despite this not being a laughing matter Mel couldn't help the laughter that escaped her lips. "And just like I told him I'll tell you. If I take him back Jesus hisself would have to come back and write stupid on my big forehead."

Seconds later Melanie could hear Mariah's loud laughter in her ear. Giggling to herself Melanie finally decided to get in her car. It was around five something and she had completed yet another morning shift this week. She was starting to enjoy her and Brooke crazy mornings.

"You literally say stuff that I ain't never heard nobody say." Mariah said convinced that Melanie was off.

"You'll understand one day when you have an ex." Melanie admitted starting up the engine as she cut the air on immediately to drown out the heat in the car.

"I did have a ex Mel." Mariah confessed.

"Oh my bad! I didn't know he passed." apologized Melanie as she darted her eyes to the side to check if anyone was turning in.

Suddenly the loud laughter had came back. But this time screams came along with it as Mariah sounded like she was rolling around laughing. Melanie was confused. She understood Mariah didn't handle death well but never had she laughed at someone death.

"Bye Melanie because I don't have time to play with you." Mariah said out of breath.

"You the one that said you had an ex." Melanie reminded her not seeing the joke.

"Baby I was saying I had one like way back in freshman year of high school. But I don't count him because we dated for like six months." Mariah further explained finally regaining her breath.

"Oh okay my bad." Melanie said smiling to herself as she swerved onto the main road. She was heading directly home and taking a nap. Although she enjoyed her morning shifts waking everyday at six in the morning was starting to get to her.

"You going straight home?" Mariah asked.

"Yeah but I'll probably stop and get me something to eat first. Why?" She wondered biting down on her bottom lip.

"Well." Mariah started giggling a few seconds after that.

"Well what?" Melanie asked looking out her rearview mirror. There was a car speeding in the next lane but Melanie desperately needed to get over before the lane cut off. So without thinking she pressed on the gas as much as she could until she got further and felt safe to get over.

"You want to come over and curl my hair?" Mariah rambled quickly.

Melanie quickly looked down at her phone in confusion. Yeah Mariah spoke another language but she clearly understood what she had just said.