Nine

Eastside Learning Academy High School
3:00p.m.

"Stop throwing the ball to Lucas before he reaches the end zone. He's no where over there! That's why you have Trell, Jayvon, and the rest of them who are in the end zone. You can fake as if your about to throw it and run it. Or look to see if one of them are open. Lucas is to far to run it!" King yelled out as he pointed at the x's and o's on his clip board.

Practice so far wasn't going to great but he still wasn't mad at them. He just wanted them to see their mistakes and improve on them.

"But coach if you think about it Trell and Javon have the same chance of getting tacked too just because their in the end zone." Jordan mentioned causing him to gain a few rights and yeah's.

"Why not throw it to me?" Deondre asked holding up his hand.

The whole team grew quiet before falling out laughing. Deondre wasn't the best player on their team in fact he was just a bench warmer. Although against Wayne's approval King still let Dre play.

"I'm being for real. If you look at the play Ky'trell and Jay are in the end zone but have a ninny nine point nine percent chance of get tackled. It's just logic to be honest. Lucas is to far to run it into the end zone because he's on the outskirts of the right side of the field. But you know who defense doesn't see? Me! because I'm on the left and Trey has to run past me. Meaning that Trey's man will be focused on him and all I have to do is catch the ball because I'm already standing in the end zone." Deondre explained hoping it made sense to everyone.

And that it did. In fact everyone was a little shock that they didn't think of that.

"You just made my head hurt with all that talking but your right." Travis joked gripping Dre's shoulder.

"Alright big guy let's see if your right. Run the play back again." King announced and on command the players graced the field. But before King could blow his whistle coach Wayne came running towards him.

"King!" Wayne yelled jogging towards him. To say that Wayne has the stomach of a women who was eight months pregnant he sure could run.

"Wassup coach?" King answered nodding his head upward in a speak motion towards Wayne.

"The buddy program is here." Wayne said motioning his head over King's shoulder.

"The buddy program." King repeated to hisself as he followed Wayne's eyes. In the entrance of the field were at least thirty kids in black and blue uniforms, with matching helmets, and a black panther symbolizing their team. King was impressed at how sharp the boys looked.

Trailing behind them were the parents of the children. They too also wore panther t-shirts and little accessories.

"Oh yeah I forgot they came today." King realized once he seen the coach of the team waving towards them. The buddy program was a collaboration with the school's football team and the communities local children football team. The principle and the coaches thought it was an amazing job to let the football players bond with and mentor the younger kids.

King was down for anything that involved helping the children. So he made sure he helped Principle Watson in planning the buddy program events.

"Sit the boys over there Tedo." Raymond, the panthers coach, shouted to Tedo the assistant coach.

"Alright boss." Tedo yelled back as he jogged up to the front of the line to redirect them.

"Boys put your helmets on the benches and go inside and get your papers. If you don't have a pen go in my office and grab one. Just make sure you return it." Wayne said giving them specific instructions.